Positive Ground to Negative Ground

bernardi

This change is straight forward.

1) Disconnect the battery and rotate 180 in the tray (assuming top post type and unless your cables are extra long).

2) Reverse the wiring on the ignition coil.

3) Reverse the wiring on the ammeter gauge in the dash (doesn't apply if you have an idiot lite).

4) Reconnect the battery with NEG grounded, POS going to starter.

5) Repolarize the generator per the service manual pg 14 "Electrical" section, "Installation of Regulator", or [color:"red"] momentarily touch a cable connected to POS on the battery to armature "A" on the generator.

6) If your regulator is only POS polarity, then you'll have to get a new one that is dual polarity (NAPA VR325). You can tell because you won't see a charge on the ammeter if it's the wrong type.

The starter, T-L motor and vacuum tube radio do not care about polarity.

At this time my car is still a pos ground. I really have no problem switching it but; what exactly are the benefits? Someone told me that it is simply to run a more mondern radio or other modern accesories. Is that the only reason?

Tim

MBL

Most modern motors use a permanent magnet instead of a field coil, Perminent magent motors change direction if you reverse polarity, if the field is wound it will not change direction , ie starter motor and torsion motor and the original fan motors.

• 9 years later...