YOM Plates

Guest DaveZZZ

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

Hi Folks.

I was wondering if anyone knew what the law in NH was, regarding YOM plates. I haven't been able to find the info, and the registry is frustrating me, since most there seem to have no idea what I am asking. I think I have seen YOM plates on other cars, so it leads me to believe that is can be done.

Thanks

Dave

Guest imported_DaveZZZ

Don't get me wrong, NH is a great state. I am a trasplant, and I love living there. However, the state government seems to have very little interest in the internet (with a few notable exceptions, like the AGs office).

-Dave

I downloaded this from www.gencourt.state.nh.us after a search through the index. It looks like you can register your vehicle as antique, then get the YOM tag assigned to it. Sometimes small-town DMV offices that don't handle lots of this kind of stuff are just not familiar with it. I'd recommend printing a copy of this and taking it with you to the registration office. Incidentally, most state licensing info is searchable by using the links provided under the legislative section.

Hope this help,

Terry

TITLE XXI

MOTOR VEHICLES

CHAPTER 261

CERTIFICATES OF TITLE AND REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES

Number Plates

Section 261:89-a

261:89-a Antique Motor Vehicle, Motorcycle, or Trailer Plates. ?

I. The director may permit the owner of an antique motor vehicle or motorcycle, as defined in RSA 259:4, or trailer, as defined in paragraph II of this section, to use a registration plate which was issued in the same year that the antique motor vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer was manufactured, provided the motor vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer is registered as an antique motor vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer under this chapter, and the number of the antique plate is recorded with the director. Any antique motor vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer bearing a registration plate with the year of manufacture shall also carry, within it, a valid antique motor vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer registration certificate and a permit issued under this section. The registration plate matching the registration certificate shall be affixed to the rear of the antique motor vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer. The registration plate which was issued in the same year that the antique motor vehicle was manufactured shall be affixed to the front of the antique motor vehicle, to either the front or rear of the antique motorcycle, and to the rear of the antique trailer, provided it is not placed in a location where the registration plate is normally affixed.

II. For the purposes of this section, "trailer'' means any vehicle with a single axle and one tire on each side of the axle, without motive power, designed for carrying passengers or property wholly on its own structure and for being drawn by a self-propelled vehicle.

Source. 1991, 73:1, eff. July 12, 1991. 1998, 193:1, eff. Aug. 17, 1998.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to get legislation allowing Year of Manufacture (YOM) license plates in Nevada. Does anyone have any idea where I can find examples of other states legislation so that it can be used as pattern for new legislation here in Nevada? Also, is there anyone out there already working on this type of legislation in Nevada (or any other state for that matter)? PYandre@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, you can use the links on the legislative section of the AACA Website to download individual state law regarding use of these tags. Most states that permit them require you to register the vehicle as historic or antique, or whatever they call it, then apply separately to use the YOM tags. It's sort of like a "vanity plate" for antique cars. Recommend you check the individual states out, download the lawa then choose the most user-friendly as a model. It would help when you find a legislative sponsor to work with you if you also present them with the whole package to show what other states are doing. Thats one of the first questions a legislator will usually ask (after "how much does it cost?") is "what do other states do?" Good luck-keep us posted here on the forum.

Terry

• 4 months later...
Guest imported_Tom Mackesy

My town clerk recommended I go directly to concord for anything othere than regular plates. Don't mess around, go straight to the main office.