"Collectible" Packards, Restoration Costs

OK, I'm kinda (totally) new here, so if this is a dumb question, it's because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I was just wondering what you guys are defining "collectible" as. I have only 1 Packard, in pieces, just waiting for time and $$$. My only pre-1983 car at all, really. (Sorry, forgot my '60 GMC Suburban)

Anyway, it's a '50 Super 8 that I got for $500, all (at least 90%) parts, perfect body (no paint), near-perfect engine (recently rebuilt), missing a few minor chrome pieces, less-than-pleasing interior. Would anyone consider this a "collectible" car?

Also, does anyone have any ideas on restoration cost? Nothing specific, of course, y'all haven't seen it, but just rough figures? I'm 23, and I've never restored ANYTHING before, so I'm just trying to get a rough figure to shoot for. $2000? $5000? $10000? Include work/labor I guess, but at friend/hookup prices. When I say it's in pieces, I mean the body and the suspension are the only things that are intact. Engine, drive train, dash, steering column, etc. are all separate. I mean the engine compartment is EMPTY. To get to the point, I can't do all that work myself. Also machining, interior, parts, etc. Any Ideas?

In summation, is this worth it, from a financial perspective? I'm going to restore the thing and drive iteither way, and enjoy the hell out of it. But if it would be worth a FULL restoration, I would love to do that.

On a side note, what is the significance of the "22nd / 23rd series" designation? An addition to the model #?

Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated. Ramblings, blatant speculations, praise, insults, or assaults on my family, intelligence, upbringing, or judgement are more than welcome as well.

Many thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, please no religious/self-help/life-in-general advice, please. (heh heh)

Thanks All,

Casey

Casey:You know for being only 23 you show remarkable inteligence. O.K. 1 by 1:- there are no dumb questions only stupid answers.- any car that someone enjoys is collectible.- resto costs can exceed your lifetime earnings, they don't have to but they can.- DO NOT repeat DO NOT restore this car with any intention of realizing a profit. The profit you get is in the amazement of others over a unique car.- unless you are planning on getting into concourse (read snob showing) competition do not bother with a body off restoration- find a decent mechanic and paint shop and get it done as cheaply as possible.- if it ain't broke don't fix it.- keep it as close to original as possible- for any and all info on parts, supplies, etc buy a copy of Hemmings motor news and then subscribe to it.- the series number has no real sigificance other than identification, in fact I have always found them to be quite confusing. In 1954 Packard replaced the series number with the year. So instead of being series 28 it became a 1954 and so on until the end.- join PAC - Packard Automobile Classics. There are 2 chapters in Kansas, Great Plains and Indian Territory. Once you join you will get a membership book that will list all of the members in your state as well as all of the others.- now stop loafing around and get to work on restoring that pregnant elephant, bathtub or what ever other name you choose to apply to it. Take lots of picture, without the pictures you can never prove you just did not buy it in restored condition.LASTLY: This is just one mans opinion,on this forum you will get as many opinions as you have hairs on your head bottom line DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO AND DAMN THE REST!!!!!!!!!!!

its nice to see another young person here "no offence to everybody else." im 24 and have been working on my packard for about the last 3 years give or take. these cars are worth restoring just because of the "what is it" responce you will get from just about everybody at the shows. there is nothing more amusing to watch than people walking by and glacing at the straight 8 and then have to come back and get a second look. if you really want to restore this car on the cheap buy a 48-54 packard parts book "its my bible" it has cutaway diagrams, pictures, trim&body codes, and part numbers. i belive on the 22-23 series cars the body/chassis number are on the drivers side firewall near the top, if not look just inside the drivers side door jam, i you post the numbers i would be more then happy to look them up in my book and give you the model#, interior trim, and paint for your car. these books can be purchased from kanter and if you call them they will send you a free parts catalog for you car. there is also maxmerritt auto i have done buisness with them fairly often and have had only a positive experiance, if you need you rebuild your fuel pump or suspension you can go to jacksons old time parts these people really know there stuff and they ship fast "i ordered a fuelpump rebuild kit 3 days before vacation and had it in plenty of time" if you wish more parts sources just e-mail me at twhitus@adelphia.net or check out my website for pics of my packard at stampsandstuff

one last thing is that i totaly agree that doing a restoration for profit is near impossible as i have near 8,000 in my packard so far "ive done all the work" and it still could use paint, interior, chrome, and countless small things.

tom

OK, I'm kind of pressed for time, so I'll probably get more detailed later. But for now, the important stuff.

My gratitude to those who replied is truly boundless, in more ways than one. Thank you all for your advice, helpfulness, and the benefit of your collective experience. I must say that I've been a member of maybe 40 different forums over the past 7-8 years, and this is truly the nicest, most helpful, and generally frindliest (is that a word?) set of replies to a 1st post that I've ever had. Thanks to 52Deluxe for the resources, I've already ordered the catalog from kanter, but all the rest will definitely help. I'll sling you an email soon. Eternal gratitude to BH for the price info, and the heads-up on the community at large. There is no way I'm going to become a car snob (autonazi is my personal term of endearment), plus I'm just too damn po'. No matter how far I can end up actually getting on the restoration, I'm going to drive it and enjoy it the whole time. And big shout-outs to AlK (alk? a1k? aIk? sorry) for the compliment, local info, and most of all encouragement.

I gotta go, so I'll continue to post as things move along, and probably bug everyone with lots of ?'s. And I will take pics, maybe even find a site to host them heh heh.

Once again, health and wealth to you all, I'm in your debt

Cheers to this forum

Casey

Congrats on getting started in what is a wonderful (tho at times frustrating) hobby. You can post your pics right at this site. If you look at the upper left corner of the main page, you'll something called "Collectable Automobile Photo Post". I've got a few of my own there. No cost and we can all enjoy your car right along with you.

F.