Engine locked

AceCollins

Hope that Pete or someone has run into this. A couple of days ago I went out to start my 37 and it would not turn over. Just heard a single click when I hit the starter button. I checked and I was getting fire to the starter. Finally discovered that the motor was locked up, fan belt would not turn. I rocked it gently back and forth in third gear, heard a gentle pop and saw the fan move just a touch. Hit the starter and it caught on the first lick (didn't blow any smoke, so don't think I had gas build up in a cylinder causing the lock). It has started on the first lick and has run like a champ ever since. My best guess is that the starter might have a bad tooth. We replaced the starter ring gear on the motor when it was rebuilt, but the starter worked perfectly and looked good, so we didn't do anything to that. Have any of you run into this kind of thing before? It has probably been started at least 300 times in the last two months with no problem other than this one time. Other than this seemingly minor problem, the engine performs wonderfully. Thanks for the input

Ace Collins

Guest imported_V12Bill

Ace, Welcome to the world of Henry's starters. You say the engine locked up , but it was your starter drive. I have had this happen several times with my Lincolns. It seems to occur most often when the battery is down just a little. I don't know of any quick fix other than to keep the battery charged. I had a 41 Ford in high school that did this also. As I recall one time it broke the Bendix spring on the starter drive. I replaced it with a new one from the local Ford dealer and don't recall any further problems. It could be a weak spring that won't retract the starter drive gear from the ring gear. When the gears are in mesh, the starter can't build up inertia to start to turn the engine.

Remember, with the exception of the late 47 & 48 starter, all starters and drive gear assemblies were Ford units.

Bill

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the information and it pretty much reads as I figured. I dropped a new battery in today. So that should help some. Also heard from Roy Thorson. His 36 did the same thing and he found a burr on his starter gear. Rather than take it apart and sand it down, he just installed a second engine ground and this delivered more spin when he hit the starter. He never had the problem again. He suggested trying that before rebuilding the starter. Might just do that. Roy has built a couple of very nice cars in his day. Keep the suggestions pouring in. I am crossing my fingers that it doesn't hit for a while. Nice to know that these are Ford units. Should be easy and pretty cheap for the rebuild stuff.

Ace