'46 Gear Shift lever stuck

peecher

The gear shift lever on my '46 seems "locked". It is in the neutral position with both levers even and the transmission in neutral. The shift lever will not move either to and from the steering wheel or up and down. The car has been sitting for some time but I've never seen one get stuck like this. Any ideas?

Guest imported_V12Bill

Peecher, It appears that your transmission is in two gears at the same time. This sometimes happens when the shift rod grommets get worn and don't take a gear outof mesh all the way as you shift into a new gear. Try jiggling the shift rods up and down from the engine compartment side. If that doesn't do any thing then disconnect one rod and move it up and down and then try to move the other rod.

By the way try Egge.com for a web display of what they have in engine parts.

Bill

Thanks for the input. I discovered a discussion on the forum over the week end about "stuck gear shift" ( last January). The transmission is not stuck in two gears and the levers are "free" so I think my trouble is up at the top of the column. The lever is solidly stuck and I'm guessing the shift tube has "glued" it's self to the upper mounting pin and/or the mounting pin has "glued" it's self to the bell mount on the steering column, as it was discribed in the January post. I'm going to attack this today and will let you all know what happens. Dee

Well, come to find out the trouble was in the lower lever assembly. Not only were the two levers stuck together but they were also stuck on the shift tube! so I removed the two rods from the shift levers, Unhooked the lower spring bail and after copious amounts of PB BLaster and working the two levers apart from each other, they finally came loose. Working the column shift lever up and down, the cross over between the two levers finally freed up. Hooked the shift rods back up and it all works good like a Lincoln should! Who ever invented that PB Blaster did me a Big favor, Great stuff! Dee