1927 stutz 8 passasager 7 limousine &1929 stutz blackhawk

george d

1 have stutz 1929 blackhawk & after distributor cap,rotor arm,ignition points.

I also have stutz 8 passasger 7 limo 1927 &need wheel cylinders or kits F&R.

can any one tell me more about the 1927 stutz 8 limo.

I also want to know why my 1929 stutz shakes when it hits a bump on the road only happens now&then. [*]

• [pollstart]

[polltitle=]

• [color:"red"] :

Ah yes, the shakey front end shimmy syndrome. I suffered with it for a few years when I first acquired a 1930 President. Then by chance I met a wise old front end mechanic who explained it is because the springs had sagged with age and in turn the kingpin inclination angle had moved out of alignment. This changes the caster setting to where the slightest bounce on a poor road surface sets the wheels into a shimmy condition that can really shake the daylights out of the car until you stop the car and startup again. Not convenient and certainly annoying as it gets.

The cure! They made angle shims that came in various degrees, 1/2deg; 1deg; 1-1/2deg and on up. If you need more than 4 degrees it is time for new springs or something is seriously bent. These shims go between the front main spring leaf and the perch, you loosen the u-bolts a few turns to get slack and slide in the shim that acts like a correcting spacer, tighten the u-bolts and take it for a drive. If it is worse you put them in backward, if it is a little better add another 1/2 degree of shim. I would start with a degree and a half and I'd bet you will cure the shake right there. Stude8

Oh yes, they are not easy to find but any spring shop that works on trucks probably has them around.