Best state for rust free cars

This may seem like an odd question but I am looking to buy a 30s,40s or 50s model car in the next several weeks and am just curious where you guys think I would have the best chance of finding one with the least rust possible. I have bought a 49 Buick from Montana in the past and it was virtually rust free, any other states that you know of that would have the proper climate. I have found a couple in Texas that I am considering but the humidity has been a little concerned. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Where is it that the USAF mothballs all their planes? Arizona? That would be a safe bet if you could be sure the car spent it's whole life there.

Many of the Western states are good bets. Generally speaking, these states did not use salt on the snowy winter roads. (They use finely-crushed rock to "sand" the roads instead.) The more northerly states have many survivors that were garaged during the cold winter months and don't have the sun-baked dash pads and interiors that some of the Southwestern cars have. Untouristed areas of Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Wyoming, and northern California are often treasure troves for old cars.

Thanks for all the replies, that is about where I was thinking, just glad to see some support of it. Anybody have any ideas on the Texas cars, I'm thinking they should be in pretty good shape as long as they aren't from the coastal areas.

I have been buying cars down in Texas for 20 years and I love them.

As long as they have been taken care of, they dont rust.

Having said that you have to watch out for cars from the coastal areas, they do have a problem rusting but if you are looking for an old car, they hold up pretty well.

Some of the problems to watch for is about 2 years ago in Houston, we had tropicla storm Allison. Major floods and everyone lost a lot of cars. I would not buy a used car in or around Houston (late model used car) at the moment because there is too big of an oppertunity to buy a flood car. I watched as they pulled the cars out of the Interstate that flooded, dried them out, and sent them to the Auto Auction.

Central Texas and West Texas are both good place to find rust free cars though and you can find a lot of them. Just like everywhere though, people are figuring out what they have and are charging accordingly.

Where in Texas are the cars you are looking at ?

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took me so long to get back to the post. I have just found a couple advertised on a couple of sites. One was in Tyler and I can't remember where the other one was. Would really like to find a 36 Chevy coupe that has not been messed with, but haven't had any luck so far.

I went to Lawton OK about a month and a half ago and I saw a 36ish Chevy 2 door at a salvage yard. I want to say it was Larry's auto salvage across the street from the city dump. I'm not sure about the name but I'm positive about the location. They had a lot of pre 65 iron worth saving. If you go to Lee Boulevard and second street and turn on to second you'll come to some salvage yards. About 12 or so. If you hit the mall turn around you went the wrong way. There are literally hundreds of restorable pre 65 cars and trucks there. It's about a 2 hour drive to Lawton but man is it worth it for finding the good stuff. I go up there for parts for my T-Bucket project and also to just shop. If you're in the area you may as well stay on Lee Blvd and head toward Duncan OK. About half way there you'll see a salvage yard on your right that has some real good stuff. If you keep going to Duncan and you're at the "Y" hang a left towards Marlow OK. Theres a place in town that has nothing but pre 1960 project cars and trucks. It's a gold mine of nifty old cars. All of them for sale. You can't miss it. Just stay on the main drag. Where I'm at it's mostly late model stuff so I head up there. Last time I was there I saw a 195? Pontiac Star Chief. Light surface rust and all the pieces were there. I want it but can't justify a fifth project. I think it was Corleys on second and H? Maybe. If you cruise through you will see her pressed up against the fence looking lonely. There's also a 30's or 40's Plymouth coupe in the area and a couple of Willy's coupes. Best bet is to just cruise real slow through the area. I like to walk and take pictures. I take em with me to club meets and pass them around. I write as much info as I can on the back of the photos. I call it my adopt a classic car program. Anyway if you're in the area let me know and I'll meet you. You can buy me breakfast at Leo and Kens diner and then I'll take you on a tour of my favorite salvage yards within 8 hours driving time of Texas. Most of the cars are in a state where there is light surface rust from the brutal sun cooking off the paint but the sheetmetal and frames are sound. You can usually tell what the original colors were. I plan on heading up there this Saturday to look for a Muncie tranny for the T-Bucket and a wrecked Harley to get some bits off of. You guys leave me a shopping list and I will see if it's there, what state it's in, and how much it is. No digital photos but I can take regular pictures and snail mail the film for you to develop. These cars need to be saved!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's one in Marlow. In a shed way out in back. It's been used as a storage container for at least the last 20 years. Do you want pictures? </div></div>

You betcha I do! If you can get me a contact number and name, I would appreciate that too. - John

Thanks for the response. I am quite a ways from Texas or Oklahoma but would not mind driving for the right car, so if you happen to run across one please let me know. Don't go out of your way, just if you stumble across one. Hopefully somebody else can get something out of this thread as well with all the great info you gave.

PM me a address, I'll send you a roll of film or a disposable camera. You can develop it and see what's in the area. If you see something you like then I'll contact the right folks for ya. This applies for anybody else as well. Headin up on Saturday!

Guest Indiana_Truck

I am looking for a tranny for my 25 Indiana if you find anything that old. I need a Brown Lipe 3 speed but would settle for a 4 speed. I know they used them in other trucks so if you see anything that old, see if it says Brown Lipe on the tranny and get a phone number to the guy that owns it. I will call and check it out more.

Thanks,

Bob

Guest imported_56BuickSuper

If you happen across a 1956 Buick Super 4 door hardtop please let me know. I need a couple of trim pieces that I can't locate. I live near Denton TX and if you locate one, I would be more than happy to make the trip, meet you, and buy you breakfast!

Dan