Major Brake Adjustment - 48 Windsor

I think I need to change the brake shoes on my 48 Chrysler Windsor, but I'm

stopped by the anchor bolt adjustment procedure called for in the Shop

Manual. The procedure calls for the use of special measuring tools in order

to adjust the eccentric anchor bolts so that the curvature of the brake shoe

is parallel to the curvature of the brake drum.

Am I likely to be able to find these measuring tools somewhere? Or is there a

way to make the anchor bolt adjustment without using the Chrysler-specified

tools?

Thanks,

Doug

Doug:

Having the tools is best, of course, but you can improvise.

First, a note: When you get your shoes relined, specify that you want them done in 3/16"-thick lining, not the usual 1/4" stuff. If a rebuilder near you balks, call Valley Brake in Fontana, California, and they'll fix you up.

Once you have to shoes on, adjust them to where you can slip the drum on over them. Make a measuring device out of a piece of stiff wire or a big measuring caliper, and you want to adjust the eccentric anchor bolt and the in-and-out adjusters to where the shoes form a near perfect circle like the drum. As you work the adjustments, try to drum on, and set it to where the shoes don't drag. Yes, there are different specs for the "heel" and "toe" of the shoe, but it's only thousandths of an inch, and you can get it close enough by trying for a good circle that fits within the diameter of the drum.

JON

Major Brake adjustment:Drill a 1/4"hole in the face of the drum from the inside of drum next to shoe contact area.Install drum & rotate drum around shoes using the drilled hole as a peep hole to set the ankors to make perfectcontact between shoes & drum

Interesting idea, Plymoth. A hole would certainly make it easy to set the adjustments, but I'm afraid I'd be skittish about drilling holes in the brake drums.

Thanks,

Doug

I've used this method for 45yrs! If you don't like the hole, Drill the hole with a letter "R" drill & shalow tap the hole 1/8"-pipe thread & install a

allen head pipe plug.The "Chrysler

Master Drum Gauge" doesen't work as it adjust the brake shoes to the gauge- not to your specific drum.It helps to slot the ankor bolts with a hack saw in order to hold the ankor bolt with a screw driver while tighting the hex nut.Then recheck shoe adjustment again to be sure nothing changed while tighting the hex nut....Plymoth

I've used this method for 45yrs! If you don't like the hole, Drill the hole with a letter "R" drill & shalow tap the hole 1/8"-pipe thread & install aallen head pipe plug.The "ChryslerMaster Drum Gauge" doesen't work as it adjust the brake shoes to the gauge- not to your specific drum.It helps to slot the ankor bolts with a hack saw in order to hold the ankor bolt with a screw driver while tighting the hex nut.Then recheck shoe adjustment again to be sure nothing changed while tighting the hex nut....Plymoth

Let me explain the drilled hole.The hole is drilled from the inside of the drum toward the face of the drum (face of drum being the part of the drum that is drilled & tapped to receive the lug bolts).The hole isn't drilled on the 2"wide surface that the brake shoes makecontact with when the brakes are applied.I hope this makes my suggestionmore clear.......Plymoth@ webtv.net

Plymoth the Packard's have a slot cut like you say so a feeler guage will slide between the drum surface and the shoe, makes it real quick adjusting.