Unleaded Fuel - need update

My '48 LC has been inactive for several years but is now ready to go again and needs gasoline. Unleaded fuel absolutely can destroy valves and valve seats of old cars unless they are hardened. I have heard "not to worry" if driving is relatively short distances at moderate to low speeds. Is this the consensus? I've heard the V-12 seats are hardened. Is this true? Is "everyone" using a lead/lubricating additive these days? Please give me some direction on this subject, and thanks.

Stu

Guest imported_V12Bill

All V 12's have hardened seats. I had need to open up my engine after having driven it about 10,000 miles. The valves were in excellent condition. I use unleaded regular without any additives. Some people think that the V 12 should be able to accelerate from 5 or 10 mph in high gear. Never, never ever do this!!!! The Lincoln V l2 does not have a lot of low end torque and nasty things will haapen to your engine if you put a strain on it by not being in a low enough gear.

Guest imported_V12Bill

P.S. I have driven my 48 LC to two GOF's , two eastern National LCOC Meets and twice to Hershey, Pa. at turnpike speeds. The V 12 loves turnpike speeds and is a fun car to drive. Don't be afraid to drive it . Better to wear it out then rust it out.

Thanks for the feedback! That is good news on the fuel requirements - now I can "fill-r-up" and rest easy!

However, I do offer a caution to other readers in response to your 2nd message. The reason my car was laid up for awhile is because I was unkind to the engine. It was running beautifully, and so when I came up behind a pokey-joe I pressed down the pedal and dropped out of overdrive to pass. I passed at about 60-65, then throttled back to a comfortable 55 for the next 5 miles. When I pulled up to the traffic light at the end of the 5 there were sudden and unfamiliar ugly noises from the engine and the car quickly slowed to a stop and died. I tried the starter and the engine turned over too easily but did not start. I diagnosed the problem as a stripped timing gear. To prove it I removed the distributor coils and had my wife crank the starter while I observed the rotor which did not move. When later I opened up the gear housing cover I found the fiber camshaft gear badly stripped. Very fortunately it required a bolt-on camshaft gear and I had a spare aluminum one! I attribute the cause to overheating and poor oil distribution. I agree - don't be afraid to drive it, but be kind to that old iron (and fiber) - really bad things can happen when they're not expected.