50 chrysler fluid drive

I have been told that I can fill my fluid drive torque converter with dextron 111. Is there a certain capacity for it, or do I just fill it to the top? [color:"purple"]

You certainly can use Dextron III or tractor fluid because they're both low-viscocity mineral oils, basically. You don't want to use a motor oil of any kind because motor oils are meant to be slippery and, therefore, won't grab.

The access hole in the floor board is placed carefully to force you to fill the Fluid Drive to the right level.

To to an auto parts store, buy a bottle of Sta-Lube gear oil, and buy the pump that fits the bottle. Dump the gear oil out and store it in another container, and clean the bottle out with gasoline. What you'll be left with is a bottle with a pump you can use for all sorts of things, and it's great for filling the transmission and Fluid Drive unit.

By the way, don't kill yourself trying to find 10W oil for the transmission gearbox. 30W NON-DETERGENT motor oil works fine. I live in a very hot climate, and have used 30W oil in these transmissions for 20 years. I've put 130,000 miles on my 1950 DeSoto's transmission with 30W oil, and I suspect that, as with Chrysler power steering units from the '50s, there were probably service bulletins instructing people to use heavier oil in the transmissions in hot climates.

JON