1907 Maxwell RS Tourabout

I recently purchased a 1907 Maxwell 2 cylinder Tourabout through an estate situation. Can anyone tell me what type/weight of oil to use in the drip lubricating system, also what type and amount of oil to put into the transmission? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I adjust the 3 drip oilers to give me approximately 6 drips a minute in my 1910 AA. The 2" engine oil in the transmission case is correct, too. I use 30 W and have enjoyed trouble free touring at the drip adjustment and with the 30 W oil. Remember this is not a circulating system. The oil has no way to return to the brass resevoir but that you manually refill it. Isn't it pitiful how so many people read these posts and how so few bother to answer or comment on them? . . . . . . george house

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. The instruction manual states that the dash oilers should be set to "feed at the rate of not less than 20 drops per minute" I use 50 weight oil. Remember these are waste oil systems that are made to expel used oil. 30 weight will run through at an even more rapid rate, coating the underside, the floor and cars behind with your mark.

• 2 months later...

While implied, I don't think anyone mentioned that multi grade oil will act at the lower viscosity number and will whiz right through the system, so you need to use the single weight oils. By draining off the oil in the crankcase occasionally ( 4 hours of touring?), you can keep from leaking out the mains and use that 'once through' oil for some other application. Some folks run a scavenger pump and pump it through a filter to replentish the supply tank.