Draglink bent?

CBoz

Hello -

I have a '37 coupe, and am replacing the draglink (long rod going from the steering gear to the passengerside front tire) because the balljoint is completely shot. I noticed that my original has a distinct bow shape in it, but can't determine whether this is original or maybe caused by a jacking "incident" years ago. Does anyone know? If the bow is original, is it necessary to clear something under the car? I have a replacement that can supposedly be used for Fords and Zephyrs, but it does not have this distinctive bow shape.

Guest imported_V12Bill

I can't be sure of the '37 , but I checked my 48 and there is a definate bow in the drag link that is there for the purpose of clearing the right side radius rod. Check your link to be sure

that the bow is smooth as when it was made at the factory and does not have any ginks in it caused by careless jacking.

Without this bow the link would bind up on the radius rod while trying to make a left turn

Bill.

Thanks for the info, folks.

I looked at the pics Ace sent me, and while his has definite bends, it's nothing like the smooth bow shape my old one has. Furthermore, neither Ace's nor mine look like the one in the chassis manual.

I'm beginning to think there was a bend for clearance purposes, but I'm not sure if enterprising mechanics didn't "take matters into their own hands" when necessary to make it work. Very interesting...

Attached is a pic of my old one (in yellow primer) and the reproduction one. Aside from the fact that the new one uses an adustable sleeve, notice how different the bends are.