Adjust Convertible top on 1948 Zephyr

Guest imported_V12Bill

Guest imported_V12Bill

My 48 Convertible was completly torn down for restoration. I have completely re assembled everything and made adjustments as required. The right side went back together ok, but the left side has problems. The top frame fits low at the rear of the door Glass/front of quarter window, and frame is short at attachment to windshield header. When I disassembled the top I noted that the factory hfad drilled two new holes to attach the left front tie down piece. These two holes are not usable any more. The adjustment in the rear mount that has a slotted hole with serrations to hold the setting has been lenthened to allow more clearance above side windows. There is very little writen on these tops , does anyone out there have any experience in this area?

Hi Bill, I am almost finished with the restoration on my 48 conv coupe. I sent you an email. Let me know if you still need the info and I will get it to you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_V12Bill

Solved my problem. The cast aluminium bracket that mounts the entire top mechanism on each side, was too low on the left side.( I had removed it but not the right side during restoration.) I used a bumper jack to raise it about1/l6 inch. This raised the top at the door/ quarter window joint about 3/16 inch. The adjustment in the front will stay the same , as the factory drilled new holes to cover their goof.