Locking Pin/Screw for rear axle

WillBilly53

when i was replacing the inner/outer seals and bearing and cleaning the differential i came across a problem with the locking pin that holds the spacer black in the center. while trying to remove it broke off inside. i managed to get the remaining pin out. i have since cleaned the housing and differential, replaced the seals, races and bearings. i am now ready to put the axle shafts in and put the gears and spacer back together. my problem is i can't find a replacement pin. i've looked everywhere. it's a 5/16 it's about 3 inches? long and only has threads at the top towards the head. anybody now where i can get another one of these?

oh wait, i didn't try NAPA...

Those pins are the bane of all GM owners. I have to do a seal job on the Ninety Eight, and it has a c-clip axle with the lock pin. And I totally dread the job because I am sure the pin will break. I'd honestly rather press a bearing off and on than fool with a c-clip axle.

Will, try a GM dealer. They put enough of those things in late model Chevy trucks that the dealer should have one, and yours sounds very much like what those use.

you know i bought a kit specifically for this very occasion from a guy that goes around in a truck selling automotive tools to shops and such. i can't remember the name of the company off the top of my head, but anyways, the "kit" worked like a charm.

i'm sure you know of it. i just thought i'd post for others and in the slim case that you might haven't heard about it.

it's basically a long drill bit, 2 extractors and a 5/16 short bolt with a hole through it longways so the bit can slide through. you screw the bolt in and then attach the long bit to your drill and drill into the remaining broken pin. then use one of the 2 extractors to pull out the pin. the bolt from the kit keeps the bit straight will you drill in the broken pin. and the length clears the housing. pretty cool. still a pain in the ass though.

and i literally had only 1 1/2 threads left on the broken pin!

anyways hope this is helpful.

and i will check with GM about the pin. Thanks!