Power Steering Lube on 53 Special

Guest imported_JPIndusi

Guest imported_JPIndusi

I have a 53 Buick Special and use the 52 shop manual for most things. On the power steering, the 52 manual shows 2 lubes used. One is 90W gear lube for the lower part of the steering box and automatic transmission fluid for the power steering pump reservoir and assist mechanism. However, the power steering box on my 53 looks different. I don't see a plug to add 90W gear lube. Did Buick switch power steering gear assembly in 53 to use just automatic transmission fluid for entire system?

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Not being familiar with that particular system, it does sound like it's a "linkage assist" system instead of an "integral" system as the '60s-'80s cars were. That would explain the two different lubes. The 90W for the steering gear box only (as it is like a manual gear box on the non-power steering cars, but probably with a faster ratio than the purely "armstrong" steering cars.

The ATF would be for the power assist system which probably works a hydraulic ram that is attached to the steering linkage on the driver's side of the chassis. There is a valve setup on the end of the ram (4 lines probably go to it) that applies the pressure to each side of the ram, depending on which way the steering wheel is turned.

GM used the linkage assist power steering up until the '67 model year on light trucks and the last passemger car to use it was the Corvette in the later '70s. Ford used it up until they changed their full size cars over to the integral system in '65, except for the Mustangs and such that used it for several years longer (always amazed that the Mustang's low hanging power steering hoses never got hung up on anything!!).

In those earlier times, Type A ATF was the "spec fluid" for GM power steering systems. You probably can still find it as some places or the "superceded" fluid would be Dexron III ATF. The other alternative might be the genuine Power Steering Fluid that GM started specifying for their power steering systems in the early '60s and later. That judgment call is yours.

GM also has a "Manual Steering Gear Lube" that was spec'd for the '60s-'70s or so Corvettes. It might be a little lighter weight of lube than the 90W lube and might help the car steer a little easier too. It's still in the GM Standard Parts Catalog with the other lubes and additives and paints and such that many car hobbiests don't know exist--even ignition point lube.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

Guest imported_JPIndusi

This is definitely not a linkage assist system. All the works are at the end of the steering column. On the 52 Buicks, the standard steering gear part was assisted by a hydraulic system just above the traditional looking gearbox. In 53 they may have gone to an integral type, which is what I may have. I need to get my hands on a page from the 53 Shop Manual to see what the illustration of the power steering gear looks like.

Thanks - Joe

Guest 53and61

The '52 and '53 power steering gears were essentially the same. The '53 shop manual describes some minor differences. They call for SAE 90 oil in the gear and Type A transmission fluid in the hydraulics, same as in '52. If you wish I can send you copies of the power steering section in the '53 manual.