Rear Taillight Lens Removal

RLBeam

I have a slight leak in my tail lens and need to seal it, is there anyone with experience with the removal of the lens ? Also could anyone suggest the best method of removing the moisture ? I don't want to attempt this and break it. I used the Mothers Aluminum polish on the lens and it worked great, nice and clear! .

Thanks

rickbeam@earthlink.net

Rickey, lay the rear verical carpet back (in the trunk)and you'll see a series of black plastic wing-nuts; Remove them. The light housing will then pull out. It has retaining cables so it doesn't fall out. Have some old towels ready so you don't scratch your paint. You'll have to disconnect the retaining cables, the harness connector and the black ground cable to completely remove the light housing. good luck,

curt

Guest Greg Ross

Highly unlikely!

Where the Lens is sealed to the housing it's impossible to see the joint, about the only way to attempt is to try splitting it entirely apart, new sealer and reassembly. The strips you're referring to are only cosmetic pieces. I put a new lens on a couple of years ago and get moisture/ misting right where the trunk trough drains dump out water while the car is being washed. I dont't think it's new leakage, just moisture content that condenses there.

I've debated drilling a couple of holes to circulate compressed gas like argon or nitrogen through it to remove the moisture and leave it blanketed with the inert gas.

Your only other option might be to, as above get some pressure in it (max. 2-3 psi) and test the whole perimeter with soapy water to locate the leak(s) The challenge would then be to circulate enough air through it to strip out the moisture. Do not attempt to heat it/ a meltdown would be most disappointing.