Rust

twistedmooch

i live in michigan and i just purchased a 89 reatta a few months ago. the under body of the car is almost spotless suprisingly with michigan weather. i was hoping to keep the underbody as rust proof as i can. my friend suggested to sand blast it clean then use some type of clear coat to prevent rust from coming back.

i just got out of school and only plan on driving on nice days. so i thought this would be a good step in preserving the car.

any suggestions or advice is extremely appreciated. Thanks Alot!

when i bought my 89 it had a rust evader installed on it by the

dealer when the car was new. i checked it out and the car does not

have a speck of rust on it anywhere so it must work. the rustevader runs a

current through the body of the car and it interferes with with oxygens ability to couple whith ferrous metals according to the company. i dont know how it all

works but it seems to. it runs off of the battery and uses very little elect and it does not seem to run the battery down as my car sits for months at a time and it always starts. i dont even know if the company is still in business but it was being sold by the dealer in ohio.

Whatever you do, DON'T sandblast the underbelly!! Modern cars are treated better at the factory (galvanized?) than the 'old' days. Sandblasting will remove that treatment. Besides, sand gets EVERYWHERE. Trust me, it's not pretty. I've been there. '58 Chevy, yea, but not a Reatta. You say there's no rust underneath? How old is the car? That should tell you something.

there are some parts that have rust and i wanted to get rid of them before they spread, and the car has been exposed to salt due to the michigan weather, i assume the car hasnt seen to many winters and i dont want it to be effected by this past winter