Bringing it back to original

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Im trying to bring my 77 Electra back to its original showroom condition . Im hoping when I go for my 1st judging on the car Ill be able to find out whats right and what isnt.But in the meantime I do know a few things that are wrong , and Im hoping there is someone here who knows enough about late 70s Buicks that they can set me down the right path on the following items I KNOW are wrong.

I have a Die Hard battery ... what model Delco did it come with new ?

My car has an Olds 403 motor from the factory ... I cant find an engine paint that matches the color of my block. The closest I can get is Chevy blue and its not even close.

There is a Knock off brand tire on my car ... what is the brand name & model of tire the Electra came with when new ? Is this tire still available or perhaps being repopped ?

This is important to me ... there is a slim chance Im going to be able to make Flint this year and I would like my Buick to be as "right" as possible if she does indeed get a homecoming . ANY help that can be sent along would be greatfully appreciated.

Dan

Guest my3buicks

Dan, on newer(not that a 25 year old car is new) models like your 77, the glovbox packet usually had that information as warranty brochures(Tire warranty info/battery warranty info). If you can't get a definate answer from the forum, watch ebay for the appropriate literature items or go glovebox raiding at junkyards.

I've owned 1977 and 1979 Buick LeSabres, so I have some experience with them. On the engine color, there is a GM Blue or "GM Corporate Blue" that is the correct color. You will have to look in several auto parts stores to find it, or sometimes NAPA can order it for you. On the battery question, if it is Delco and has a black exterior, that is all the judges are looking for. On the tires, if you have the correct size (as Keith said, it will be listed in your owner's manual or on the sales brochure) and the correct whitewall width (one inch to 1-1/2 inches), that is all the judges are looking for. If they count off for more than that, they are exceeding the judging guidelines.

Remember, the Flint meet is not going to be judged this year, so you will have to come to Texas for the 2004 National Meet for the next judged National (I will be happy to email you a registration form--we just finished them last week!).

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Director, North Texas Chapter, BCA

Head Judge, 1998 BCA National Meet

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Dan,

You can obtain the correct Delco Battery from Antique Auto Battery, 330-425-2395, from Ohio for about $150. They manufacture all the correct type old style batteries for most old cars. Simply give them the make, year and model and they will send you the correct battery. I have used them for years and recommend them highly. You simply just buy the battery acid at you auto parts store, and charge it up.

On the engine paint... find yourself an automotive paint store that has a spectrum analyzer, they can scan the color and make it up. They made me an acrylic urethane for my Oldsmobile engine, as I could not find anybody that stocked the proper color. I brought in my valve cover to scan. If you are going to paint them, you have to take them off anyway.

Keep it original.

Scott Mich

BCA # 6619, OCA # 3947

Guest Dans 77 Limited

ROFL Dave , I never thought of that ... I guess Ill just have to take the point deduction.....its staying. Its funny you should mention that I finally found out what its for. It never ocurred to me to look it up on the internet till just the other night. Apparently "The Dick E. Bird news" is a newsletter for bird watchers and the lady that was the owner of my car originally must have worked on the newsletter staff. Im trying to contact the "Dickie E Bird news " and see if they can shed any light on the former owners of my car as I only met them once (After I hit my future Buick with my 73 Dodge) and at that time the conversation wasnt exactly "friendly".

Dan

From experience, there are many different shades of the GM "Corporate Blue" engine color. Even some of the name brands are not right (the Krylon version seems almost as dark as Ford Blue). You could do a lot worse that get your local GM dealer to order you some of the genuine stuff. The GM Gloss Black (really satiny black) Engine Enamel (12345322) will match the air cleaner and other non-engine color black items under the hood.

The black on the chassis and other body parts is GM Reconditioning Black, which does not have a "hard" shine to it, kind of like the black prime that all of the GM sheet metal came in back then. Spray cans and also gallon cans are available. These items and other engine colors will be found in the GM Standard Parts Catalog in the GM Parts database, in what used to be the "front" of the catalog with other specialized lubricants and chemical items.

GM Restoration Parts used to have a comprehensive list of paints and such from a private vendor, but sold under their name. I have no experience with them as such, but these paints are also available from other restoration vendor sources too.

Of course, as Scott mentioned, you could take a valve cover (as an example of an engine part that did not see that much heat that might discolor the paint) and get it matched. Several options on the paint situation.

As for the tires, as mentioned the warranty materials should indicate what brand of tire came on the car. That tire is not available any more as they were upgraded/changed on pretty much a yearly basis back then. You could do worse that to get some Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP whitewalls(or similar) for it in the correct size (P215/75R-15 M+S?). If it was Goodyear or Firestone or General, I'm not sure what their later equivalents might be.

The battery would be the Delco side-post battery that is still being used. The graphics on the labeling and such have changed several times since the car was new, but the case cosmetics should be close enough to not worry about. I suspect the sizing would be the current 75-6YR or 78-6YR sizes. In any event, the newer versions have more CCAs than the original did. There are 5YR versions of those sizes, but the price difference is not significant enough to downsize to that level, from my observations.

Although I have not judged at a BCA event, when I walk up to a car and see OEM level and manufacturer items under the hood (i.e., battery, battery cables, oil filter, spark plug wires, other items which have been replaced as a part of normal maintenance situations) which are the later model versions of the originals and not specifically repro items, that tells me that the owner cared enough to go the extra mile and not get the less expensive "auto supply" parts on the vehicle AND that the vehicle is prepared to drive on the streets instead of being trailered. That, plus excellent and correct detailing under the hood makes me smile!

Hope this might help . . . but it's your money.

NTX5467

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Thank you NTX the information you gave is very useful and I appreciate your input and the input that others have given me. I guess Im just going to have to go with the corporate blue as the valve covers are one of the areas desperately in need of paint. The PN for the black paint is a huge bonus for me , the senior who used to own my car decided that it would look much better with a "Postal Blue" aircleaner .

Dan

Guest Buicklover

Dan,

In lieu of trying to locate a correct Delco Battery at a reasonable price, try this web-site for Legendary Battery Toppers.

www.batterytoppers.com

I've read where several guys have bought them & they make your current battery look like the real deal.

Hope this helps.

Bill R.

BCA # 12434

ROA # 7997

Grand Blanc, Michigan