airflow crankshafts

To all enthusiasts of the Airflow.

I am currently restoring a C9 Coupe and have discovered that the crankshafts that I have are embossed with the numbers 618624 and these numbers don't match up with the numbers listed in the master parts list for Chrysler passenger cars from 1936 to 1942 issued in July 1947. This book quotes the number for the crank as 618623.

I believe that the crank that I have was out of my fathers CV Coupe but am not sure. I also believe that it is the long stroke item at 4.875 inches.

I also have a crank which is embossed with the numbers 618620 and I believe that it is the shorter stroke version at 4.50 inches from a CU.

Further to this I am chasing the rear main oil seal for the crank on the C9 and my books tell me that it is part number 304744. It also lists the rear main seal complete with the seal retainer as part number 308354. A complete kit comes up with part number 891456. Does anyone know where I can purchase the seals as well as the information on the origin of the cranks that I have as well as confirmation on what should be in the Coupe.

Regards to all

• 5 years later...
Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Donald G,

Thank you for the update on a question that I posted way back in 2004.

I live in Australia and your information is very helpful.

Where did you get this information from?

Cheers

John Spinks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnarthur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To all enthusiasts of the Airflow.

I am currently restoring a C9 Coupe and have discovered that the crankshafts that I have are embossed with the numbers 618624 and these numbers don't match up with the numbers listed in the master parts list for Chrysler passenger cars from 1936 to 1942 issued in July 1947. This book quotes the number for the crank as 618623. . . . . . . . . . </div></div>

It is not at all unusual to find forging and castings with numbers that differ from the parts list. These parts may be manufactured with one identification number for routing and when final operations are performed then a new number is issued.

I have seen aluminum diecast parts manufactured with both rough casting and finished part numbers. When the part is machined, only the finish numbers remain.

Keep in mind the 1947 parts list will no doubt contain superceeded numbers. Do you have the C9 parts lists? The 1929-39 Chrysler parts list?

If a crank is ground to different sizes then the parts list would have different numbers.

I will try to research specific information for your application.

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Donald G,

Thank you for your efforts but unfortunately the seal that you mentioned is only suitable for the 6 cylinder flat head Mopar.

The 8 cylinder version has a larger diameter crank which means that i must keep looking.

Thank anyway.

Cheers

John Spinks

Aussie C9 Chrysler Airflow 8

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Donald,

I have a parts list that covers '36 to '42 Chrysler and it states that the rear main rope seal is part number 304744 and the seal package is part number 891456.

When reading the Felpro package that you have posted it says that 891456 fits 218, 228, 230 241, 251 & 265 engines.

all of these I think are 6 cylinder engines.

My engine in the C9 is an 8 cylinder 323 Cube engine and the crank is obviously bigger not only in length but journal diameter as well.

The rear main oil seal surface diameter on my crank is 2.875".

The 8 cylinder engines in the Airflows were 323 cube with the exception of the '34 CU which was 298 cube.

I seem to think that either

Felpro or the parts list have screwed up on the numbers.

I am sure that the 6 cylinder crank rear main oil seal surface daimeter is considerably smaller.

I hope that this clears this issue up.

I am however trying to determine if the oil seal surface diameter on a say '38 '39 etc Chrysler 8 engine is the same.

I have one half of a rubber rear main oil seal here with me at the moment and it has the following on it - Flaseal A1007 695786 and checking my parts listing the part # 695786 apparently fits a '39 C23 & C24, also a '40 model C26 & C27 etc etc.

Running a rough check across it with a vernier it appears as though it will fit a 2.875" crank seal surface.

Maybe this is what I need to chase?

Cheers

John Spinks