1934 CU Airflow for auction on Ebay again-reserve wasn't met

Guest brian j

Guest imported_brian j

The last time it went up for auction the bidding got to a little over $4000.00 and the reserve wasn't met,so i'm guessing a person would have to go higher.UPDATE : Reserve wasn't met it may come up for auction again so keep your eyes peeled for it on Ebay.

Guest imported_brian j

Hi,John, Brian here. No that isn't my Airflow on e-bay. I haven't even had contact with the owner about posting this. I just thought it would be a good idea to get the word out when one pops up somewhere. For many years i admired Airflows from a distance,and never considered that i would ever be able to obtain one as they almost never turn up for sale anywhere. Then like a rock falling from the sky and hitting me in the head,i find not one,but two in a barn less than 10 miles from my house. I knew if i didn't buy,i would probably not get another chance. So,yes i still have mine,and if i could justify why i need a third to my wife i would try to get that one too.I find it unbelievable that the bidding on the Ebay airflow went to $4K and $3K respectively the two times it went up for bids. After finding out via his Ebay ad that there are probably less than 100,and less than 35 of that low serial number i would have thought there would have been some serious guy out there, realizing this may be a "last chance" situation at obtaining a 1934 CU Airflow. Although i don't know that his statement of rarity is "fact",or where he obtained that info. I checked and it's back up for auction again,this time it's stated that if the reserve isn't met it will be offered to the highest bidder. By the way my Airflow is in a more complete condition than this one. But if i were buying i wouldn't let the disassembled thing stop me as long as i was assured most if not all the parts were there. I hope some member of this forum ends up with the car at a reasonable price. Then they would know how i feel about my good fortune. I just can't figure out where those moths came from that flew out when i opened my wallet to pay for my Airflow.LOL She had to use both hands to pull the money out of my hand. They always seem to cramp up when i'm shelling out cash. Well,'nuff said,good luck out there. If someone out there gets it,i hope they post the whole story on this forum. Bye.

Thanks Brian, I didn't know you had bought those two Airflows you found. Actually I was high bidder both times on the eBay 'flow, but I hadn't seen your latest post before I bid. I really don't need another one so the bids so far have been even higher than they really would be, since without my bids, the highest would have been in the 2000s. He's absolutely right that the cars are very rare, but they are also not worth anything. We do this for the fun of it. Why else buy a $2000 car, pour hundreds of hours and $20,000 into it only to have a car worth maybe $15,000. I see nice restored and original cars in the $10-20,000 range fairly often. (asking price)

-John

Guest imported_brian j

Oh,oh John. You spilled the beans. You revealed every old car gearhead/nut/restorer/rodder/collector/etc.'s dirty little secret. We love these old autos and trucks we scavenge so much,that we just don't care if we ever "make a profit". Well now the cat's out of the bag,so you guy's out there be careful,and make sure your wive's can't get a look at this. Mine is just now starting to believe these old steel goldmines are panning out. It took years of propaganda,and "unconventional logic" to convince her. Although i think i may have just worn her down with begging and persistence. Seriously,John,i also,like you realize you can buy one allready done for cheaper than the cost of restoration. But what would be the fun in that? I've been turning wrenches since i was in first grade. My family was "financially challenged" and i built my own bicycles from "finds" at the town dump. I was working on cars by the age of twelve. Out of necessity,of course. My dad wasn't a very patient mechanic. We still find wrenches and screwdrivers out in the woods on the old homestead. Of course,much has changed. I make a good living. I drive new vehicles that never need to be repaired by me(warranty). But the part of me remains that still marvels at the beauty and complexity of all those interacting pieces of metal, fabric, and chrome. And most enjoyable of all,is bringing them back to their original splendor by my own hand. Don't get me wrong,though,i have a fully restored car that i drive around all summer to satisfy my need to enjoy the "fruits" of completion. So to wrap it up John, i say do whatever you and your wallet wish with this old "Flow". I as much as anyone like to save a buck now and then. But sometimes it's not about the money. A 1934 Chrysler Airflow shows up,and a decision has to be made. Do i pass and maybe not get a chance for the rest of my life on a nice rust free restorable? Should i "damn the torpedoes,full speed ahead"? Or hunt down a completely restored one,and save money in the long run. Actually i just realized thats a "win/win" situation.So good luck out there. I've allready had mine. It's someone elses turn. Bye.

Hi again Brian, well I was high bidder for the third time. This time it went to about $3200. (much lower than the seller wants) I don't blame him for wanting more, but I really didn't want to spend a lot on another project car. I wonder how much easier it would be to simultaneouly restore my CV and a CU and the same time? (or not at all....)

-John