Ford/ Lincoln 460 Horsepower ratings

Bob Kinker

What were the horsepower & torque ratings of the Ford/Lincoln 460 engines of the late 60's & very early 70's?

Hope one of you guys can help! Thanks

The '69 thru '71 engines were rated at 365 HP @ 4600 RPM and the torque was 500 ft/lbs. these engines were rated as "gross horse power", not net. Starting in '72 the compression was lowered to 8.5/1(regular gas useage)and the horsepower was rated in "net" terms.the '72 was rated at 224 hp (212 hp for the Mark IV)They then lowered the compression to 8/1 for use of unleaded gas and the net hp ratings again dropped to 219/220 hp and 202/206 hp for the Mark IV. DP

Thanks for the info. I have a 460 in my pick-up that is a little weak. Needs freshening up.

A friend of mine had said that the 460's highest horsepower was about 285. I fiound that hard to believe! Thanks again for the info

• 4 weeks later...

If you are considering a rebuild, the 460 can be tweaked to over 400 HP, while maintaining totally stock appearance, other than perhaps an aluminium intake and headers. It's not as cheap as a SBC, but they are very strong and will give you gobs of torque. Perfect for a truck!