getting ready to start an old motor, need advice

Guest 31tudor

Guest 31tudor

I have a motor that's been sitting for about 5 years. It's been sealed up, and it was running perfect when we pulled it out. I'll put in fresh oil and a filter on it, but everyone talks about squirting oil in each cylinder (through the spark plug hole) before starting it. Should I put motor oil in each cylinder, or some other kind of oil? How much should I put in? Should I let it sit for a few days?

I was planning on getting the tool to prime the oil pump before starting it too. How fast should I run the pump (drill RPM) and for how long? Should I change the oil after priming the pump, before starting the motor? Any help is appreciated!

Fresh oil is a good start. I'd buy the tool to prime the pump along with a gage to tell you when you are coming up to pressure. Use a variable speed drill and work your way up to faster speeds watching the gage as a guide. Take out the plugs and put enough oil in to cover the tops of the pistons. You want to make sure you don't score the cyl walls. Crank the engine without the plugs, you don't want it under load. Be prepared when you go to start it to change out the plugs a couple of times. Once running I would get it to temp shut off and drain, install new oil. Mine had been sitting for a while and what I would do is hit the kill switch and crank it till the idiot light went out. But it hasn't sat for 5 years. I'd let regular motor oil sit for a while, a couple of days before attempting to start. Hope this helps.