Headlight Question

poncho

Good question as I have the same problem (not with my Reatta) if you discover the answer, it will make me very happy.

When you say cold, do you mean like below freezing? Could be the plastic turned to powder, has enough moisture to make it more solid and allow the gear to drive the shaft. I rebuilt a headlight motor last week that the rollers were ground to a fine powder consistancy.

Mine used to slip on the shaft that raises the light assembly. I kept tightening the locking screw to keep them working. Then I hit a deer and the insurance company replaced the whole front end. The new ones work great in any weather. It's 6 degrees above zero here tonight.

As the bellcrank gets cold it shrinks and holds onto the shaft with increased grip.

The repairs are easy and long lasting if you file the washer so that it is a press fit.

My 88 does the same thing. When temps are in the 40's they work great. Above that, I have to raise them manually, (They always go down). Sometimes the heat from the engine comparment will be enough to cross the temp. thesh-hold. If I stop at a store I will hit the headlights up button to keep them open. This usally works, however, occasionally the lights will be down when I come back out and I will have to raise them manually. I am assuming there is a poor contact in the headlight module. Are the module's repairable? I recall seeing "replace only" or "do not repair" stamped on the it.