What IS an 'Antique Automobile'?

Guest imported_RAH

Guest imported_RAH

Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary defines Antique as follows: old, ancient, venerable, belonging to an earlier time, among the oldest in it's class. Perhaps 'Restorer32' has a point in that we should properly define what is 'Antique' especially as it applys to The Antique Automobile Club of America! Should there be an arbitrary upper limit? Perhaps some number beyond which cars would no longer be Antique but rather just Old cars, trucks, busses, tractors, et all! Several of the other clubs to which I belong have indeed set such upper limits. The Horseless Carriage Club has decided that 1915 is the end of the Brass Era. The Dodge Brothers Club has set 1938 as their upper limit as that is the last time the term 'Brothers' appears on the cars. The Golden Era Automobile Association (a local club) has set 1939, ie 'Pre War' as their upper limit. I believe the Classic Car Club also has set similar upper limits and other criteria. Be aware whatever number is decided there will always be someone trying to reset that upper limit!

I believe some of you more vociferous, perhaps newer, members have already lost focus of what our founding fathers intended for this organization! Please see the link to 'History of our Hobby' by Bruce W., that is if you can get past the individual perceptions of the book (ie. the messenger) and concentrate on the relevant data! I believe this organization was never intended to become an adjunct to the 'History Channel' attempting to document everything that ever happened in automotive history. I believe their goal was quite simply to preserve some of the older cars available to them at the time from being destroyed and to drive and share a common affection for their 'Antique Automobiles'!

If this class 37 does become certified, I see absolutely nothing in the guidelines to prevent a future Board from modifying it to (what 37b?) include those very Street Rods you are all having a cow over! It would only be a logical extension!! For that matter what is to prevent a future Board from adding another class for 'Concept Cars'? Then they would cover the whole gamut from the beginning to the future and newer generations would have NO CLUE what 'Antique Automobiles' were all about! I do admit it would be difficult, at this late date, to set an upper limit. There would obviously be much crying and gnashing of teeth but it would NOT be impossible! As I have said before this continuing proliferation and expansion of classes, based on the most recent 20 years of the organization's nearly 70 year history, has already turned our prestigious National Hershey Meet into just another Good Guys car show where nearly anything with wheels is welcome. Don't worry, if there is not a class our friendly Board of Directors will create one for you. Or at least modify an existing class for your special interest. Some of you may find that last statement arguementative and perhaps it is a bit, but I believe it to be an accurate observation of fact!

We may all agree to disagree as to what may be considered 'Of Historical Significance' but can we at least come to a concensus of the definition of our

namesake as applied to 'The Antique Automobile Club of America'?

So, again I pose the question "What IS an Antique Automobile?"

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

1915 Dodge Brothers Roadster

1928 Dodge Brothers std6 Cabriolet

1934 Dodge Brothers KC pickup

1958 BMW Isetta 300

Roger,

When I joined the AACA in 1966 some members considered cars of the late thirties and forties simply "used cars". However, these were the cars that I grew up with. Now 37 years later our local meets are dominated by cars of the 60s. As a high school classmate commented recently, it is sobering to consider that the cars we drove in high school are now considered antiques. Personally, I think the 25 years old or older rule works well for the AACA. Often members join the club with a newer car, gain an interest in the older vehicles, and add one to their collection. My own personal collection ranges from 1928 (my most recent acquisition) to 1954. With the HPOF and Driver classes added to the original ones there is a place for most every production vehicle at an AACA sponsored event. I like that!

jnp