Dumb blonde again - need help with starter

Hi

We have a 38 LZ 3 window. We put a new relay(?) (the thingamijjy that connects down to the starter) on it several months ago and it was starting just fine until the other day. My husband pulled it into the garage and turned it off. Then he decided he needed to move it a little further forward, but it wouldn't do anything but click. We still had the old relay(?) so we switched back to that one - same thing.

Someone told us to tap on the starter while we pressed the button, but it still only clicked. We thought it was the starter, so we called George Trickett to order a new one. He said it wasn't the starter. He said we needed new cables, but everything else works, horn, lights, etc. Also, we had the cables tested several months ago and they tested fine. Also, he said the positive shouldn't be grounded on the car???????? Where else do you ground it?

Thought I'd ask all you experts before we order cables that we might not need.

Could there be anything in the ignition that might cause this?

Thanks for your help.

Carol

Carol, It could be indeed the cable(s). The current draw for all the accessories, lights, etc is much lower than the draw for the starter. Had the same problem and new cables did the trick. Be sure ground cable and connection are good. DP

Thanks. The brakes have started getting a little easier - the car had sat for over 2 years when we bought it. Right now they've started giving us another problem. When the car is first started, the right rear brake grabs. After a few minutes it stops doing it, but it's annoying. We're trying to get it into the shop to get them checked, but we have to get it running again.

Carol

Hi Carol, am sure you misunderstood George somehow, positive ground is correct, be sure it is grounded to the engine on a head bolt, and the body on a bolt provided, the negative terminal should be connected on one side of the Solenoid, the other side connects to the starter terminal nut, make sure all the connections are clean, I like to lightly sand them, including the posts on the battery, then coat them with vaseline when re-assembling, doubt very much your battery cables would go bad that quickly, bet your connections are just corroded, hope that helps, OC

Hi OC

Bob is the one that talked to him. If he listened to him like he listens to me, you are probably right that he misunderstood. He has that "selective hearing" if you know what I mean. I figured if George has been doing this stuff for 50 years, he probably knows what he's talking about.

I printed out what you said so he can read it. Thanks so much.

Carol