65/66 Electra convertible. Is the rear window plastic or glass?

Guest Parm

I think it's glass, haven't investigated that topic enough, my '68 GS Convertible came with glass, I have a '66 WC in the back with nothing left in it so I suspect that was a plastic replacement and probably should be glass also. I wonder if there was any plastic conv windows from the factory, I would think that would have not have been the norm, but, some body out there knows the scoop? Help!

65 was the first year the big cars-LeSabre, Wildcat and Electra had the glass back window in Convertibles. 68 was the first year the Skylark and GS had glass back windows in Convertibles. The full line sales catalog for 65 makes a big deal out of the new glass back window on the big cars.

Guest Reatta1

Factory top came with glass window. A lot of people replaced it with plastic when they had to replace the top mostly due the difference in price. I have kept glass in my LeSabre top when it needed replacement because it is much better than having a plastic window yellow and crack before the top itself wears out. grin.gif

Guest nailswede

A friend of me have a 1964 Electra conv. with glass rear window,why it has it whe dont realy now...top is very old and in bad condition and car is right now at a shop for a topreplace (with plastic window tongue.gif)

A)(L

As you have confirmed, the 66 Electra came with glass. When replacing the top just have the shop use the original glass. Plastic windows are a poor substitution.

Keep in mind that you may have to replace the glass along with the top. Any professional will know when to replace it or keep it. Most of the time when a top needs replaced, so doesd the window. The actual window may be fine, but the stuff holding it on the top frame is more than likely bad.

The "heated window" for my centurion was about $340 to replace...that was along with the replacement of the top.

Adam

Guest Reatta1

A shop worth their salt can 'heat bond' the original glass into a new rear curtain when they replace the top. Assuming the glass is not cracked or otherwise damaged. It is a much better replacement and will outlast a plastic window indefinitely. The glass window will be a little smaller than a plastic window but not enough to justify plastic.

Just my two cents. grin.gif