Turning rear brake drums for 48 Lincoln

Guest Curt Fouse

Guest Curt Fouse

I took the brake drums from the Zephyr to get them turned. The local shops say they can't do the back drums because the hole through the center is too small to mount on their machine. It looks like it would be hard to chuck them up in a lathe. I can see where it might be possible to have the axel shaft out and then mount the shaft with drum attached in a lathe. I bet someone knows a better way to do it. Thanks in advance.

Curt

Hey Curt, it is sad indeed that we old car people are being left behind, as our older stuff becomes difficult, I think it only takes the proper fixture, and surely someone still has one, my theory has always been not to turn drums unless they were tremendously out of round, have run them both ways, and never found a significant difference, it was often a brake shop "gimmick" to increase the amount of the bill, and hastened the eventual replacement of the drums, which are not easy to find either, but that is why they call me "Ole Curmudgeon", take care OC

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Curt Fouse

Thanks for the response to the inquiry. I had to remove the drums from the hubs. Then the local shop could do the turning job. The 5 studs (that bolt the wheels on) had to be driven out, then the drums came off easy.

Again, thanks from Curt. You will no doubt hear me again when the next problem comes up.