Newbie would like info. on 37-39 Zephyr Coupe

Hello,

I have recently joined the LZOC as I am hoping to soon find a 37-39 Zephyr coupe. I was hoping someone could tell me if there are any manuals, or other descriptive literature available about the cars so I can become better aquainted with the cars. I am looking for a project car, it wouldnt have to be complete, but it would be nice if it was. I think I prefer the 37 but I need to become more familiar with the cars to be sure.

Are the 37's more plentiful, if I saw the correct production numbers it appears many more were manufactured that year?

In an earlier posting I saw mentioned someoned paid in the $6K neighborhood for a complete minus engine car of that era. Is that realistic? That is the only supposed sale I have seen. I havent seen a 37-39 coupe that needs restoration for sale. My interest has been primarily in Porsches, I want something different, American and older for some reason I am taken by the Zephyr 3 window coupe...must be the curvaceous flowing lines....it must have influenced the 356 Porsche!

I would be grateful if anyone can offer any advice or answers to my questions!

Thanks in advance!

Phil Wimbish

Annapolis Md

Hi Phil, welcome, there are many differences between the '37 and '39's, but if you are to locate one, besides the usuals, Hemmings etc, try this site, thttp://www.lzoc.org/classifieds/forsaleprewarcars.htm There is usually something interesting lurking there, when you are more sure of what you think you would want, we would be glad to acquaint you with the salient pros and cons of the various models, street drivable ones can be done up to 15K, show quality, pristine restored, maybe up to 30K, not a "poor boy" car anymore like they once were, and fraught with some special problems, that we will tell you about, also scanning the archives of this site will give you a working knowledge of the genre as well, good luck, OC

Dear Phil,I was also looking for a 37 coupe we recently restored a 37 Ford Phaeton and i always liked that style front end.Although the production numbers state there were more built you would never believe it when you are trying to find one.Anyway ,upon closer examination i have learned to like the 39 more,front end styling is smoother,rear taillights are alot cleaner looking and the dash and console are just neater looking.I also considered the brakes,39 is first year for hydraulics.Just my 2 cents,probably all its worth,diz tongue.giftongue.gif

Phil,Me again,I ran out of room.I put 600 miles on our 39 3-window coupe last summer and i am installing a Columbia 2-speed rear this winter.All these cars came with 4:44 gears in the back,not ideal for 55 mile an hour cruising.Not bad for the motor as it likes to r.p.m. but i just figured it would last longer if it wasn't always reving to the moon.Please advise if there is anything else we can help you with.diz tongue.giftongue.gif

Hi Phil,One more time,I looked for a coupe,be it 37-39 for quite some time.There are not many out there,even fewer that are running with(a)good oil pressure(b)solid floor pans©ownner that wants to part with it.Not trying to scare you off,if Porsches didn't scare you,Zephyrs certainly wont.Good luck,the hunt is part of the FUN.diz tongue.giftongue.gif

Phildaddy -

From what I can tell, if you can learn to love the 40-41 3-window coupes as much, they seem to be cheaper and more prevalent on the market, despite the fact they are rarer and have some improved mechanicals / body elements. The main external difference I can see is that the rear fenders are slimmed down on the later coupes. Very pretty cars, mind you, but not quite as "swoopy" as the 37-39s.

Oh, I agree, OC. I didn't mean to imply that the 40-41s weren't as nice as the earlier ones; only that PhillyDad had expressed a preference for the earlier ones, and that he might have better luck finding one of the 40-41s. Personally, I go back and forth over which basic style I like better. I guess when I'm ready to buy, the first car available will make up my mind for me!

cool.gif