Old car sitting for a long time,need advice for startup!!!

jannelu

Hi everybody...

Sorry to tell you that i just sold my 1967 Buick Electra Convertible...

I found a 1959 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible with 1 owner as im just about to pick up...

Its been garaged for almost 30 years.

It`s been in a dry garage all her life and i need some advice to get her running.

I understand that a oilchange and a going through of the brakes and all the rubberhoses will be necessary but is it something more that i should look out for?

How about the wheelbearings,lifters,carburator,tranny and so on?

If anyone have experience of starting up a car which been sitting for a long time pls write a line...

I am sure going to miss my Buick but a 59 Olds is not that bad either...

Jannelu

Well, there are a lot of things to prepare for. First, you must drain the fuel tank to remove all of the varnish that has built up over the years. You may want to flush and seal the tank when you are through too. Remove the carb and give it a rebuild. All of the varnish and rust will be inside of it and it's not worth messing with without a rebuild.

Drain the oil and replace it with 50 percent oil and 50 percent Marvel Mystery Oil. Marvel is super slick and free's up stuck engine parts. This will help the engine turn over. If the engine is "frozen" and will not turn with the starter you may have to turn it by hand. This would require a bit of work and you may need someone to assist you so you do not damage anything.

Run the engine at idle for a good hour, "after the cooling system and trans is flushed of course" checking for leaks and oil consumption. Drive the vehicle at low speeds, not to exceed 35 mph and listen for any unusual noises from the drivetrain. Check for any blue or white smoke coming from the tailpipe. The trans should be shifting smoothly. This is just some of the steps to take in preparing the car for it's journey back on the road. Please note there are several more steps to follow, but these are some major points to consider.

Chances are you will have to replace many seals and gaskets as well as the master brake cylinder and possible brake lines as well. Good luck and let us know how it's coming!

Paul Urban

BCA #38544

1970 Buick Electra 225

4 Door Hardtop 455 four barrel

• 9 years later...

Good advice, Paul. I would also say "soft parts." Vacuum lines, seals, hoses, lines. Think "flow." It is critical that the fluids flow as they once did, but right away!

And, Jannelu, toss a can of Red Bull into the gas tank. (Just kiddn)

P.S. I,too, have a '70 Duce-and-a-quarter, but without motive power for now. It's that pale greenish hue that nobody but me likes.

Guest Rob McDonald

BC, gotcha! You've landed in the stale date trap. Note that this thread is dated ten years ago.

If you found it because you're looking for advice on resurrecting a long-stored car, you're close. There's a really good recent item here, by BuickMan, describing the correct way of doing just that, with the least risk of damage - http://forums.aaca.org/f162/another-how-do-series-review-technique-335301.html It sounds like a lot of work but so is rebuilding an engine that's eaten itself up after a cold, dry startup.

In case you too were wondering, "Fåntratt! ladda batteriet och vrid på nyckeljäveln!" means "Blockhead! charge the battery and turn the key bastard!" hehehehehe

Edited by Rob McDonald
curiosity (see edit history)