V12 engine performance?

does anyone know how much vacuum a good running lincoln V12 will make? I have just got my new engine running and it is only making 16 inches of vacuum. seems very low but cant find anything on this. the engine runs real good.

Thanks

Yes, that seems exceedingly low, where are you taking the reading from?? You should get the most vacuum from the place where the windshield wiper hose hooks up, and you have to be sure all the other places are closed off or plugged, 30 PSI sticks in my mind as being a good average, but my memory has lapses, and I have not checked the vacuum on a V-12 in a long time, OC

I took the reading off the intake manifold. the reading was rock steady, no movement of the needle at all. which makes me wonder if the timing adjustment might help. by the way the repair book reads you shouldnt adjust the timing once the points are set.I did have the cam reground when the engine was rebuilt but the builder said it was reground to the same lift and duration. makes me wonder because it sure feels stronger than any other lincoln V12 ive been in or drove.

Something sounds screwy here, the vacuum should be highest at idle, and as you give it gas will show less, at full throttle it practically disappears, that is why the WS wipers slow down or stop when you accelerate. DO NOT mess with the distributor timing, the syncronisation is vital to having the engine run right, and "adjusting" it seldom if ever improves it, and usually makes it worse, will not affect the vacuum appreciably anyway, the vacuum brake, that should be hooked up on your 12, works off of manifold vacuum, not venturi vacuum like many cars that have a spark advance deal in the distributor, and are hooked to the carburetor itself. I believe I would get the engine warmed up, and retorque the manifold bolts, and the carburetor, if they are leaking, they usually make an audible hiss, but not always, and that would be a simple solution, also try hooking your vacuum gage right on the WS wiper connection, other vacuum fittings are much smaller, and may not read correctly, if the engine runs well generally, just be grateful, and don't worry about the vacuum!! Disapointment stories abound of newly rebuilt 12's, so if yours does not smoke, leak, use inordinate amounts of oil, and has decent oil pressure, in the middle of the gage, consider yourself a very lucky fellow indeed, and congratulate yourself for doing a good job on a difficult project, OC

WAIT A MINUTE!!! I just had a flash, you have a postwar, right?? I think many of them had a vacuum tank so that the wipers and other vacuum stuff would work all the time, regardless of what the engine is doing, if you were taking the reading off of the tank, that is exactly what you would get, a constant reading, am I a Sherlock Holmes or what?? OC

I had the engine work done in fremont, but have since found a place right around the corner in orangevale that could do a little better job. Bud Walmers.

he is a wizard with flat head engines. email me if you would like either of the machine shops info and phone#s. I have a spare V12 I am taking to Bud as soon as I get the restoration on this conv. coupe done.

Guest Curt Fouse

Hello! I wonder what car you are working on? I have had a 47/48 convertible for years, and just started working on it. (Not a continental) I have questions that radio shack couldn't answer. Chuckle. Good luck with the project.

Curt Fouse Washington, WV.

k8uc@charter.net