Engine power goes down and down...

Hi:

I just discovered the forum and would like to ask something. I own a 1941 Continental coupe. Decent car, though needing complete cosmetic restoration. It still runs with the V12, though at some point of it's life its first owner (I am the second one) changed the aluminum heads to cast iron heads.

The car used to drive very well, but one day I started with the following problem: When the engine was cold, it runned perfectly, but as it grow hotter, it started to have less and less power, to a point in which you could barely move the car. I suspect it has something to do with the coil, but have no real idea.

Can somebody shed some light here?

Thanks

victor. confused.gif

The coil would be my first guess too, sounds like a job for Jake Fleming, he will check out your coil, and rebuild it for $60.00, if it is necessary, have him check the condensers too, and consider having him set up the whole distributor, the most important thing on a 12, I think anyway, his number in Dallas Texas is (214) 333-3197, the heads should not make any difference at all, OC

Believe those resistors are for something other than the ignition. You can verify this by disconnecting them and see if the engine will start and run.OC is right about the distributor and you should probably have the Dallas guy go thru it. He'll be able to change the points , condensor and check out the vacuum brake advance mechanism along with checking the coil for you. DP

Yes, if those resistors are up on the bakelite slab that has the circuit breaker on it, they are the resistors that lower the voltage to the coil to 4.5 volts, and make the coil work properly, they are not the condensers, which are located in proximity to the coil, there are two of each, because the LZ coil, is really two coils in one, there is an excellent article on the distributor in the current issue of the club Magazine, The Way of The Zephyr, the receiving of which is well worth the price of joining the club, IMHO, OC