LZ master cylinder

Question: Can one purchase a master cylinder kit for a 41 LZ? From whom? I was told that they no longer sell kits to the public because they don't want shade tree mechanics rebuilding such a important safety feature on cars. Only pros do it now. Is that only in certain states?

Actually, all the cups and seals are available in pieces from a brake supply, as are the cups and seals for the wheel cylinders, but of course you have to be sure and get the correct sizes, Bob Boos in Arizona, advertises LZ master cylinder rebuild kits, no price, his phone # is (480) 837-0978, hope that helps, OC

The only time a "pro" may get involved is if your master cylinder bore is badly pitted and would have to be sleeved to bring it back to a standard bore with the proper finish. You might be better off trying to get a "rebuilt" one. DP

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Curt Fouse

I hope you have yur brake job done by now. I just found out that the master cylinder on my 48 Zephyr had new parts in it, but also had deep pits in the bore. I checked with White post on getting it resleeved, and the price was $150 plus $12 shipping, plus I would have to ship it to Va, probably another $12. I checked with the local parts stores, and they were available from 3 different stores. All 3 had different prices. Being tight, I went with the cheapest place. It was about $40 and $26 if you didn't turn in the old core. I looked inside the new one to see if it was pitted, and it had a super smooth surface that I guess was some kind of liner. It is installed now and works good.

Good luck, Curt