Delco Lovejoy Duodraulic shocks ?

RoadsterRich

I'm trying to understand the shock absorber numbering scheme used on Delco Lovejoy shocks.

When I look up my 1930 Chrysler 77 in the Chrysler Master Parts List from October 1939, I find the following listed shocks (By Vender No.):

Front Left: <ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]1507H2D

[*]1610Y3GG4

[*]1600B1GG2

[*]1600Y1GG2

Front Right: <ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]1507G2D

[*]1610X3GG4

[*]1600A1GG2

[*]1600X1GG2

Rear Left: <ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]1515K2D

[*]1610P3GG4

[*]1600F1GG2

[*]1610P1GG2

Rear Right: <ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]1515J2D

[*]1610N3GG4

[*]1600E1GG2

[*]1610N1GG2

I purchased a set of shocks from a reputedly reputable source, which the seller swore were for the Chrysler 77. These shocks are labeled:

"Delco-Lovejoy"

"Duodraulic"

"Made In USA"

The only part numbers I could find were cast in to the cases:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]XR1-39772

[*]XR3-39772

[*]R4-39579

[*]XR4-39579

Is it possible these are the same as some of the shocks above, or was my vendor 'mistaken.'

I know that Chrysler switched from the single action to the double action shocks early in the production year. Also that different shocks were used on export models than on domestic models. What I don't know is if my car was an export model or not. It spent at least part of it's life in South America, has metric gauges, but left hand drive, so very possibly an export?

Thanks,

Rich

rich i have a 1930 model 66 and the shocks on it are the same as the model 75 an 65 also in looking at your pix's your front axle leaf springs are the same as the 75 in 1930 they changed the leaf springs to have a round rubber bushing on the end that a bolt went thru in place of the cups that we have,so you may have a early model.

Guest Straightaxle

Hi, Rich:

I am not an expert on Delco-Lovejoy, but I can tell you that casting numbers frequently are NOT the same as the part number. The same casting could be machined or have internal parts fitted that made it into may different "parts" each with a different number. This I know from my experience with a few Delco-Lovejoy items and a little more with Chevrolet parts.

Scott,

The 75 had the single action 'strap' style shocks, I believe? My 77 has the mounts for the double action style shocks with linkage rather than straps. Seems that the 1930 models had quite a few innovations in them, unfortunately many were either discontinued or replaced with more innovations within the next year or two.

I did talk with Ed, looks like I'll be helping him out with a few parts. I had been in touch with Steele, was hoping there was a more affordable solution, but looks like they are it. I may have to take a second job just to afford the pieces parts for the 77 at this rate. Though my inventory of spare parts is growing. Sure can't wait to get the car on the road, unfortunately I believe that is a good year away or more.

Rich