Looking for horseless carriage. Need advice

I would like to find a horseless carrige. I have worked on many 1920s cars trucks and tractors. I have wanted a pre 16 for years. Ready to buy. If you can give me any advice or have a automobile to sell I would like to hear from you. thank you Mike email mb@quik.com or call 970 824 2156

Guest Stllrng.

Sorry, I don't have a pre-1916 car for sale. But I do have advice!!! Seek out a 1912-1914 White, perhaps the finest car of all time!!

It sounds simple but start out with a Model T. I have two T's and an Overland and a Model T will always get you home. They are affordable, fun and easy to fix. Best bang for your buck

A Model T Ford is the BEST first time brass car. After you have a few years experiance with a Model T you will be ready to step up and buy a better Brass Model T Ford! My advice is to buy an older restored T with some tour use, that way you can enjoy driving it right a way. That is what I did with my 1912 Touring, one of my smartest moves, car wize. Restoration projects are fine, but you need a functional brass car first.

1905 type E gentleman's roadster,original paint with new leather top and seats {bench not buckets!} and rebuilt original motor currently with schebler carb and modern fuel tank, all original otherwise. I'll shoot a pic and post it with a price this weekend, only so many hours in a day.............

Ok, Ok, give a guy a break! the thing's been buried in back of the barn for 4 years and I gotta get some friends together to help me dig it out so I can take a decent pic.

Oh, and what is your email address Mr. Anonymous?

That, my friend is precisely what I'm gonna do when I dig it out to shoot a decent pic, and we're not just talking a couple of cars to roll out to get to it!I honestly never expected the response! I was gonna put it up on ebay as I did with my Stellite, guess I won't have to now.........................................

Hi It is so nice of all of you to make sure that this Franklin is the right car for me. Just joking. I would like any infomation on pre 16s that you guys could give me. Thanks for the help. Mike mb@quik.com

I would have to vote with the Model T crowd. Of all the early cars it is the most universal and even today in the horseless carriage crowd it makes up the majority of the cars as long as they are counted (they often aren't among the big brass car guys). A T can be used in reasonable manner on most all secondary roads and if it breaks down, there is generally someone close by who has a 20s T who would be willing to donate a replacement part to get you back on the road. Authentic parts for an accurate restoration can be reasonably acquired and in a pinch, newer parts will often do you. In the collection of most of even the great brass car collectors you will generally find a T. And then if a T just seems too common for you I would recommend a Buick or an Overland. Most of these cars come in a variety of sizes and were common enough to have a significant number made and consequently some parts do exist. However the availability of parts is nothing in comparison to a T and when you do break down in one you will be parking your car for a significant time til you can get that missing piece. I speak from experience (or lack of it). I am a better scrounge than I am a mechanic. I can get around the mechanics of a T but obligations prevent me from getting out to the garage much. I have a 20s T, complete but the engine has been torn down for the last 3 years. I also have parts to make up a 14T chassis, 3/4 of a 1913 Kisselkar chain drive truck chassis, and part of a 1902 & 1903 Rambler chassis. I starting bringing home T chassis parts 30 years ago when I was in my teens and to this day I have never been on a tour and only been to a couple local car shows with my car. Go with a nice older restoration brass T and enjoy USING it and upgrade it a little in the winter season.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest carlnut50

I know you guys will hang me for saying this but if you want a horseless carriage type vehicle build your own.I have one I spent several hundred hours on and I used either very old parts or parts made from scratch.I used T rims and made new spokes,narrowed T axle,hand made frame,body,linkages,steering wheel,seat,etc.Single cylinder International 1200 rpm engine 3 speed transmission,#60 roller chain to rear axle with spider gears.The purist crowd turns up their nose at me,but I have had an unbelievable amount of fun at parades and antique farm shows.I did my very best to build a dependable nice looking ,correct sounding,fun vehicle and so far I have not been disappointed.

Forget the Model T advice..get something odd..much more challenging to restore as well as keep running ! We're restoring a 1909 ONLY, 1 cylinder, 3 liter engine, 5 1/8" bore x 10" stroke. One of 14 cars built before the company filed for bankruptcy. They claimed 60 MPH. Should be exciting firing up this beast. I too crave a horseless carriage, thinking of trading a '32 Packard 900 Convertible (extreme basket case but worth restoring) toward something very old and very unusual. Seriously, a T is probably a great car to cut your teeth on considering parts availability, reliability, purchase ability, etc.

Model T to start - I did it a long time ago and have gone on a couple of runs etc. I always got home and I have been able to get lots of goodies for it. Now the big question is how much cold hard cash did you want to put up or into this project? That was the other consideration for me as I have a few other cars and did not want to get into a real old one to deeply. So now I am ready for a more costly car and plan to take my T to the next Bakersfield HCCA meet in '03. Then I will upgrade (one space for the horseless carriage in the nest). But get ready to give anything you buy some TLC as they really need it to stay ready and pretty enough to take on the road. Good Luck! [color:\\"green\\"] [color:\\"green\\"]

For a first time brass car--Definetely--no contest forthe Brass T--We have many in our family collection and we still bring more home! They are reliable, durable and are more fixable that any other car ever built---After you stop having fun with them---if you ever do--then you can move up--make a profit if you need to sell or just keep it and have more fun!!!

Good cars are hard to find--a good pre 16 T will start at about 12-15000 but pound per pound its the best investment.For a 1909-12 car they stary at 20 and go up to 50,000. But thats for the more well healed enthusiast--Even big car owners finally realized that without a good brass T they are lacking--and they can always fall back on the T when the big car drops--T's are a delight for most and the way to start---and keep going! [/eric @edwardsantiqueautomobiles.com 705 424 9443