Lincolns re-engined with Cadillac V8s

Need some engine wiring advice for anyone with a continental (mine is 1948) with a cadillac V8 especially if it was an Andy Granetelli installation. Some of my questions are ,.....for 6 volt positive ground;

* can I use the original Lincoln votage regulator?

* Do I need to continue to use the ignition resistor which cuts down the

voltage to the coil

* The wire from coil to distributor does it go to plus or minus side of coil

Steve B [color:\\"blue\\"] enson, Charlotte, NC

Hi Steve, I don't believe there were ever any positive ground Cadillacs, and unless you have a pre '48 Cad Flathead engine which were a huge flathead, all of your generators and regulators should go with the engine you are using. The OHV Cad engines were a popular replacement in the old days, but as you know, the trend now is to return as much as possible to the original V-12. OC

Steve, Years ago I installed a Hemi Chrysler in a 51 Lincoln with a 6 volt system. I kept everthing 6 volt and used a 6volt Ford coil, no resistor necessary as this resistor was used to reduce voltage at the points on a 12 volt system. You may then hook up the polarity to the coil the same as a 6 volt Ford. I converted my original Lincoln generator to fit the Chrysler engine. You may have to use a converted Ford generator(6 volt) for your set up.Use also the regulator that matches what ever generator or altenator you choose to go with.

If you are using the Lincoln Transmission with overdrive, You have another problem with the kick down switch. This switch must be wired in also to the ignition. This switch momentarily "kills" the engine,releasing pressure on the driven parts in the overdrive so that it shifts back into direct drive. If you are using the Lincoln (V12) trany treat it with ease as that Cad engine will put a lot of strain on it! DP