Tires

I am restoring my 1935 C1 airflow 4 dr and would like to know where I can purchase the closest to orignal, White Wall 700-16 Goodyear Diamond tread Tires. Would like 5 of them.

Any help will be appreciated e-mail mcfadden@i2k.com

• 3 weeks later...

I have checked out the Coker and Universal websites and the Lucas ad in "Cars & Parts" and do not find a Goodyear listing for the 700x16 size. Lucas has a 600x16 Goodyear listed but that is not large enough for us. I have seen some of the Airflow member's cars with the Goodyear diamond tread tires but they were on DeSotos, not the larger tire size needed for the Chryslers. If you do find a source, several of the Airflowers would probably be interested.

Jim is correct. Kelsey Tire in Missouri makes the tires Lucas sells, but they do not produce the 7.00's or the 7.50's, so to the best of my knowlege they are not out there. the Club accepts a correct vintage repro in their place.

Call Kelsey Tire and add your name to the list; maybe someday they will actually make those molds!

JH

• 8 months later...

I have 700-16 wide whites on my '35 SG. They are BF Goodrich "Silvertown" bias belted tires bought from Coker Tire about 7 years ago. I'm suprised that they don't have them. I think that they have now been making the same tire in a radial as well. Because of the larger size tire, (I should have ordered the 650's) I'm unable to put my fender skirts on. But tires are expensive, so I'm not running out to get the smaller size, and I'll have to live with not using my skirts.

I have a nice set of Michelin radials on my '34 CV. Personally I prefer blackwalls on an Airflow so that was no problem. The tires are intended for family van use and fit the rims beautifully without tubes. I'm sorry I forget the the size off-hand. Its been my experience that radials on classic cars drastically improve their ride, handling and braking and Michelin was offering radials (although not steel belted) in 1934.