29 chrysler front wheel bearings

mikzjr@aol.com

I thought for years that the inner cup was supposed to be tight on the spindle. This apparently is wrong. The cup should just slide on and it should be able to rotate on the spindle. The bearing engineers tell me this is so everytime the vehicle stops and sits for a long time it is on a different place. I have been told one of the reasons for bearing failure is because some of us used to dimple the spindle so the cup wouldn't turn.

The front wheel brgs on my Pontiac are the originals (470,000 miles) repacked twice every year since the mid fifties and the cups can literally be spun on the spindle now but they still work perfectly.

Happy hobbying

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Nice car we were working on the same this year at the shop (29 roadsater).

With wheel bearings you should adjust as such, first thoroughly pack the bearings and fill the hub cavity this provides a reserve and keeps bearings greased. next install seals (btw you can get new from Chicago Rawhide, i don't have the number but you bring your dealer the old one and they'll match it) then put hub on and tighten the bearing nut moderately tight with a wrench- this sets the bearings. Next back nut off until loose, now hand tighten lightly to where you can fit the cotter key in. Now when key is in nut should be able to move back and forth with little effort YES it is SLIGHTLY LOOSE, this is correct, Wheel bearings nuts should NOT be tightened with any kind of wrench.

It takes a little getting used to the 'feel'

Now a question for you! On your car near the rear shock mounts, is there a small plate attached to the body sill and the frame with one of the shock bolts going through it? We got the car we are working on in buckets, and there are two small metal plates which may go in the position described.

Also do you have extras of the following a cylinder head?

The original dual throat carburator w/ fumer ? If so give us a price.

Oop I am a memeber but could not log in for some reason. so e-mail is wilebill@att.net