1953 Roadmaster - Brake Light Blues

TomE_1953

I have to press the brake pedal real hard before I see the brake lights come on. I've looked at all my manuals but can't locate how I adjust the brake light control associated to the pedal. I've located the brake light connector under the hood. I'm going to remove the road/engine grime that built up on it and see if that will help make a better connection. I'd like the brake light to come on as soon as I press the brake pedal.

Any other suggestions, step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

You guys have always come through for me in the past. wink.gif

Guest Teamsterdug

Assuming your '53 RM has basically the same brake line system as the '53 Special I used to have...the brake light switch is located by the master cylinder. It screws into a block where all of the lines come together. I used to have to replace mine about every couple of years. I was told that the reason was that I used silicone break fluid and that for some reason the fluid is hard on the switch. It's a simple fix. In fact I just replaced the one on my '38 ( [color:\\"red\\"]also silicone fluid ) because it was acting the same way your '53 is. Had to mash really hard on the pedal to get them to work. Now, with the new switch installed, a slight tap on the brake is all it takes. smirk.gif

Guest 53and61

On my '53 Special there's no adjustment. When my car had similar symptoms, the problem was a bad sender. These are so ubiquitous that I easily found a replacement at a local chain parts store.