PLEASE HELP!!! PLEASE help me decode this DeSoto's VIN number...

Alright guys, I am working hard on decoding this 1951 DeSoto's VIN number, could any of you PLEASE help me decode it? I cant find anything on the web to decode it, PLEASE HELP. The VIN number is: s1589123 . The guy I bought it from has several old DeSoto's, and I am afraid that I have got the wrong title, maybe to another '51 that he has owned sometime in the past. The VIN plate is missing off the door jam, I hate to admit it, but I overlooked that when I bought it, the local guy I bought it from didn't say anything about it and I just took it for granted that it was all OK. I was so excited and caught up in the deal that I really just forgot to check it(I won't do THAT again! WOW, how AIRHEADED!) the car looked SO good and I knew the local man so I was just lulled into a sense of security I guess. I have already went and registered it in my name and got tags for it the first day I got it, but I would like to know for sure. This one I have is the 2 door hard-top Custom model, I believe it is called the "Sportsman". I would REALLY appreciate it if anybody could help me decode this VIN. Thanks to all,

Robert

I believe that the number you are calling the VIN is really the engine ID#. My book indicates that the VIN for a '51 DeSoto would start with either a 5 or a 6, and contain either 7 or 8 numerals. It is either a "Custom" or a "Deluxe". It originally had a 6-cylinder engine. Hope this is helpful.