New '39 Lincoln Zephyr Sedan Owner With Questions

Hello Everyone,

I am a brand new (three weeks) owner of a beautiful, black 1939 Lincoln Zephyr sedan. This is my first classic automobile and I have several questions. The one that is most important to me right now is oil. I understand that the V12s really burn oil. I need recommendations on what type of oil to use. I heard that 30 weight non-detergent oil is good. I want the ask the experts. Anyone have any suggestions.

Hi Frisco, was wondering if you would mind sharing with us who you bought your '39 from, I have a hunch I know who owned it before, and have some knowledge about that specific car, of course it is none of our business, but if it is agreeable for you to share, I would appreciate it, OC

Hi OC,

Thanks for your interest in this car. What I am really still after is some good oil recommendations. However, since you might be familiar with the car I can offer the following information. The car was purchased in the San Francisco Bay Area. The previous owner owned this car for about two years (based on what his pink slip said). The previious owner purchased this car from a wealthy, elderly gentleman.

The car itself is a 1939 sedan, black laquer exterior with a tan leather interior. The car is an older restoration.

This is about all the history I can give you. If you might know something more about the car plase let me know. I would appreciate any information.

Best regards,

friscocat

And I would be glad to share with you, if you were to share with me, am afraid guessing games are sort of a waste of time, if the previous owner's first name started with M, then I think I may know the car, as far as oil goes, I always used Valvoline non detergent 30 wt in all my V-12's, never had a complaint, some of my contemporary correspondents prefer the new synthetic oil, I personally have no experience with it, OC

Hi OC,

Thanks for the tip on the oil I appreciate it. Please understand that I am not trying to be evasive regarding the previous owner of the car but merely trying to protect his privacy. However, you are correct his first name does start with an "M".

I am curious why this car has so much interest. Does it have a colorful past? Was it owned by a movie star or a notorious gangster ? Like I stated in my previous e-mail it would be interesting to know some of the history of the car. Unfortunately, my current career and family obligations don't allow me the time to research such interesting things.

If you would like some more technical details or photographs of the car please let me know I would be glad to share it with you and other LZOC members or interested parties.

Thanks again for the oil recommendation.

Best regards,

Frisco

Thanks Frisco, I thought so, I know a little of the '39 by my conversations with M, never saw it, or have any knowledge of it's past. M was a bit of a tease sometimes, and the last time I spoke to him he told me he had put signs on the door of the zephyr saying it was a WW2's general's staff car or something, for which I chided him unmercifully!! Hope he had them removed before selling it to you. There were some concerns about the oil pressure, and a few missing interior items, and a broken door window, but it seemed like a really sound nice car, I hope you enjoy it, OC

Hello OC,

Just to let you know the interior piece missing is the throttle knob. I hope I can find a replacement or a repro of this item. Regarding the broken window. The previous owner had two replacement windows made which he gave me. I arranged to have one installed. I'll keep the other as a spare.

The lettering the previous owner had on the car was actaully a US Navy reference. It said Admiral CA Nimitz, US Navy. The letters were the vinyl stick on type. The first thing I did when I brought the car home was to remove the lettering (which ended up being quite easy). Since this car has no documented history to the US Navy or Admiral Nimitz I felt the lettering was in appropriate to this car. But thats just me. Other than that the car has been running nicely. The only modifications I have done so far was to replace the batterey cables and lugs. This modification now makes it much easier to start the car. I also purchased a new Optima maintenance free battery. Although this batterey does not look original its performance is excellent and needs no maintenance. Right now I want the confidence that the car will start more than worrying that the battery looks original.

Near future work includes: boiling the radiator, replacing one the exhuast manifolds and replacing the exhaust pipes and muffler.

I would be glad to send digital photos of the car if your interested.

Best regards,

Frisco

Hi Frisco, as I told M several times, all '39 knobs are available from a fellow named Moglia, at (970) 241-4983, I think what discouraged M was having to break the old knob off, drill the new one, and glue it on, best solution I have seen yet, and I must admit I had a great deal of trouble with the Admiral Nimitz reference, M has a strange sense of humor, but glad the car has a good home, OC