Harmonic Balancer

Guest r_wright

Guest r_wright

I believe that my Harmonic Balancer is starting to fail, as I have a ticking / clicking sound from the front on my car that goes away as the car is accelerated. I did a search on this in the archives and it seems to match my problem. There is a recommended test moving the serpentine belt that I will try later tonight to verify this is the fault. The procedure for replacing the balancer may be more than I want to tackle, but I have not made that decision yet. I will need to review the service manual to make a better determination prior to proceeding. My question is this - in searching for the prices of harmonic balancers for the Reatta, I discovered that several sites listed a harmonic balancer repair sleeve. Does anyone know what this is used for? I have no problem with buying a new balancer, but most of the older posts talk about a failure in the rubber and maybe this sleeve fixes that? Please share your thoughts.

A <span style="font-weight: bold">Repair Sleeve</span> is a precision thin metal tubing that fits over the hub of the balancer. The oil seal in the timing cover rubs against the hub of the balancer. This, over time, may wear a groove in the hub. The repair sleeve provides a "new" unscored surface on the hub.

This is not what fails on the Reatta harmonic balancer. The failure is the rubber between the inner and outer balancer assembly. Replacement of the harmonic balancer is the only cure. smile.gif