my 70 Cutlass Supreme

Maybe someone can answer this question for me. At a show this spring hosted by Hot Rod Mag an editor came up to me and asked me where I found my car. I told him the story of how I aquired it and he preceded to tell me that in 1970 the head honcho's over at GM were trying to consolidate assembly lines with the Monte Carlo. He said that there were 1000 Cutlass' produced with the Monte body (400 sold)and 1000 Monte's with the Cutlass "S" fastback body (49 sold). I have called Oldsmobile to validate what this guy told me and no one seems to have an answer. They keep telling me to call someone else. If someone with information on this can give me a correct answer and where I can validate this PLEASE let me know. grin.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0

This is one of those stories I have trouble believing, and coming from someone at Hot Rod makes it even less believable- if it's not a Camaro with a small block Chev in it, they generally don't know much, and they sure don't know much about an Oldsmobile.<P>The GM A-body cars (Cutlass, Chevelle, Tempest, Skylark) were generally all built on the same assembly lines in California, Texas, Michigan and Massachusetts. The MC and Grand Prix those years were a subset of the A line and were called AH or A-Special body cars. The Olds Supreme coupe was considered part of this body series due to its roofline.<P>I'm not following the story well here- Cutlasses with a Monte Carlo body, and Monte Carlos with a Cutlass S body- how was the distinction made? Driveline? Body trim? Interior appointments? Was it an S car with Monte Carlo nameplates? Chevy already had a Chevelle they could have done that with. Given that the MC/GP/Supreme were supposed to be a premium "distinction" offering, it wouldn't make sense to put the high-line badging on a bottom line car like the S or Chevelle.<P>Oldscarnut, you've been in the Olds organisation longer than just about anyone here. What is your take on this?

Guest Dave Wyatt

Sounds like BS to me. I was a teenager during those years and have never seen a fastback MC. Growing up in a GM community, I have seen about everything GM put together. The MC's and GP's used a longer chassis and stretched front sheet metal, while the Cutlass Supreme used the normal 2 door frame and standard Cutlass front end and all shared the same body shell. The sharing thing probably confused the Camaro Rod editor. Here comes another urban legend!

Thanks guys. I thougt that there was a little bit of BS floating around that. What he he was trying to tell me was that they were making MC's with the "fastback" S body. When I was looking at other pics of the 70 Supreme with the "notch back" they all look like mine. Ok grant it I don't see many of them here in Ohio with the same body style I know they are out there. And it seemed like too much of a coincidence that they all look like mine, since supposidly there were only 400 sold in this "special" edition. Oh well it makes a good "urban ledgend" like some one said. Thanks again. wink.gif" border="0

Mr. M, didn't mean to imply you were "old" (though "Olds" is an apt description grin.gif" border="0 ) but knew you've sold them and been in the Dealers' Association a long time. Figured you'd have heard about any such malarkey as this if anyone had.<P>Rocketgirl, a 70 Supreme is a nice car to have and fairly rare to find these days. Lot of 'em got driven into the ground, but they were among the nicest cars overall GM ever built. Enjoy it, and hope to see you and the car in Cincinnati next year for the OCA National Meet. cool.gif" border="0

I do enjoy the car immensly. And if I can find a reputable manufaturer of replacement seat kits I will be there. (dry rot in the driver seat, and a few other little things that I would like to replace) Hope to see you all there... grin.gif" border="0

Most of the larger Olds vendors carry vinyl seat upholstery kits and most of those are made by PUI. Nicely made of quality materials. They'll have carpet sets too. <A HREF="http://www.fusick.com" TARGET=_blank>www.fusick.com</A> is the first one that comes to mind. I can also tell you a couple of vendors to stay away from, but will be nice here and not call any names.<P>If you can't get a reproduction seat kit, try SMS Auto Fabrics <A HREF="http://www.smsautofabrics.com" TARGET=_blank>www.smsautofabrics.com</A> in Oregon. They have a large stock of original cloth and vinyl yardage and have come thru for me many times. They'll send samples of what they have on request. They're sometimes expensive, but they know their product. Then all you have to do is find someone to stitch it and hope they don't take 3 months to do the job like the last seats I had done!<P>Also recommend joining OCA and then one of the four Ohio Chapters if you haven't already. And hey- don't worry if the car has a few rough edges. It's 32 years old. Bring it, enjoy the show and swap meet (and Ohio OCA shows usually have some of the best!), make new friends and find a world of Oldsmobile you never knew existed. cool.gif" border="0 <P>Glenn Williamson<BR>the Rocketraider<BR>past OCA Southeast Zone director

The only production line swap i Know of is the '77 engine swap. My parents ordered a Buick Regal with a 350. It came with a Chevy 305. We got a rebate and months later an extended warranty and an apology. So the engine nearly paid for it's self.

When is that show in Cinci usually held? Cause with your encouragement I will most definatly be there. I am so sick of going to the local shows and not getting the appreciation that my beaut deserves. I get tired of seeing the 57 Chevy's and 65 Ford's win. They aren't the only cars that are out there.I'll be at the show in Alliance, OH in August. So if any of you are out there PLEASE stop by and say HI. And again thanks for the info on the BS Hot Rod tryed to hand me. I am starting to think that they told me that just cause I'm a woman.... tongue.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0

Rocketgirl, do your self a favor and drive to the Olds meet in Lansing, Michigan at least on August 3rd. You will see the largest selection of Oldsmobiles you probably will ever see. The factory will have their 700 mile 70 Cutlass Supreme there as well. A great flea market with several vendors that can answer all your questions....listen to Glenn's advice it it right on the money!<p>[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: oldscarnut ]