56 trunk material

Guest Randy Berger

Guest Randy Berger

There is almost a perfect match for 56 trunk material (houndstooth) from a company in Alabama. The material is #43 BURTEX for Studebaker and is 54" X 76". It was $60.00 per sheet. My upholsterer noticed a SLIGHT difference in the size of the black squares. I did not see it till he pointed it out. They also make a twisted loop carpet very close to Packards. <A HREF="http://www.accmats.com" TARGET=_blank>www.accmats.com</A> <BR>1-800-633-2358<BR>AUTO CUSTOM CARPETS<BR>318 NOBLE ST.<BR>ANNISTON, AL. 36202

Guest Randy Berger

It looks identical to me - it is a flat material with no sheen at all and has a jute backing. The only difference is in the size of the black "houndstooth". I think Patrician found the same source. They were willing to send my friend Chris a sample. I have some left and would be glad to send you a sample so you could make up your own mind.<BR>You could even glue this to the cardboard to make the quarter panel covers (which are cardboard printed in the houndstooth pattern).

Guest Kevin AZ

Question.....Are there distinct differences between trunk material designs of 55-56 seniors. (The material in my 400 has long since retired) rolleyes.gif" border="0

the trunk interior trim panels as well as the mat in my 56 Exec. is in excellent original condition and i'm sure it is original factory. RO and Jim Tn. has seen it.

BH: Thanks a ton for posting those links to JPGs on the various differences on the real and repro trunk material! Very imformative and a good reference for us all. BTW, on my 1955 Pat, which was in pretty fine shape when I bought it 3 years ago, the trunk lining material was trashed (although it looked like a 45 year old, well worn version of the one you posted above). I took it to a local trim shop which did 4 things: (1) fixed the driver's side arm rest, (2) fixed the driver's side seat material (not dup of factory, but OK for the naive observer), (3) recovered the entire trunk area with a suitable "furry" material close to the body color which (unbelievably) has impressed everyone (except PI) judges who have looked at it, and (4) put a significant scratch in the right right rear fender's paint (probably due to a belt buckle "lean over"). The net result was a positive for my Pat, but I'll never do business with that guy again (he didn't want to acknowledge his liability for the scratch). You can't scratch a "classic car" when it's in your shop! Anyway, thanks again for the links!<p>[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Craig LV ]

WRT: 1955-56 trunk lid interchangability. I (as you probably know) have a 1956 Clipper (5647) and 1955 Pat (5582) side-by-side in my garage (small though it is). I would be willing to measure "whatever" to answer PackardV8 (Keith)'s question about whether the 1955 and 1956 trunk lids are interchangable. However, due to a previous discussion (not on this chat), I believe that the length of the trunk lid is different between the 2Dr HT (short wheelbase) and the 4Dr (long wheelbase) cars of 1955-56. So measuring my two physical examples would not prove anything. Somebody needs to have a 1955 and 1955 Pat or equivalent in front of them to answer PackardV8's question.