1921 Packard 116 runabout

packard 116

• 5 years later...

I would recommend you get a Parts Manual and a Service Manual for the ?21 6cyl. It should be available from a number of sources, including the Nation Packard Club. These manuals will help you see how the car fits together and show pictures of missing parts.

As the car is dismantled you should take many pictures at different angles of each part removed, both before and after it is removed from the car. With the help of a digital camera and possibly a digital video you can document every part.

Colors of paint, condition of parts everything needs to be recorded.

Each part should be listed on an action sheet as to what needs to be done to put the part in replacement/new condition.

A list of missing parts, parts needed to be plated, painted, welded, items to purchase etc.

As you can see, documentation and lists are a major part of knowing what you have to do. This applies to all mechanical and interior items.

A car is an assembly of parts. If the removal process is documented the assembly is mainly the reverse.

I have a ?25 3rd Series 6 cyl. Limo. in the disassembly process. I?m going through the same process as you are.

You don?t have to be a professional to restore a car. You may need to use their services for things you don?t feel comfortable doing. Painting, upholstery, engine rebuilding will usually need to be done by professionals, but disassembly and reassembly can be done by many people with general mechanical skills.

With good documentation and a plan of action most people have the ability to restore a car no matter how much of the work they do themselves.

Good Luck,