Michigan Auto Removal Bill (From INSIDE Your Garage!)

Guest 70 Electra

Guest 70 Electra

Fellow Michigan Auto Collectors & Enthusiasts,<P>Perhaps you saw the coverage of Michigan Senate Bill (S.B.) 631 in the 1/27/02 Oakland Press. In case you didn't, the highlights are below.<P>The important point is that this proposal classifies non-running, or damaged vehicles as litter, and provides provisions for any private citizen (or the gov't) to seek a court order for removal of said vehicle(s).<P>A key point of the bill, is it includes vehicles that are within the confines of your garage or other structures.<P>The bill was introduced by Sen. Joe Young Jr. of Detroit (Democrat). It is well-intended, but (not surprisingly) mis-guided and violates our freedom to collect and store vehicles within your private property.<P>While you can read summaries of this bill on the SEMA website, I recommend reading the bill in its entirety. Go to <A HREF="http://www.michiganlegislature.org/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.michiganlegislature.org/</A> and enter 631 in the Senate Bill section. (It's only a couple of pages long.) This site is valuable to bookmark, as it will also tell the current status of any Michigan legislature.<P>STATUS: This bill has been referred to the committee on Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs. Membership of this committee is shown below, so that you can contact them. I urge you to do so, in addition to writing your own district's representatives. I have done so, and received a very prompt email reply from the chairman. He is interested in hearing from the voters of Michigan!<P><BR>Kenneth Sikkema ®--Chairman of Committee<BR>SenKSikkema@senate.state.mi.us <P><BR>Walter North ®--Vice Chairman<BR>SenWNorth@senate.state.mi.us <P>Harry Gast ®<BR>SenHGast@senate.state.mi.us<P>Gary Peters (D)<BR>SenGPeters@senate.state.mi.us<P>Joe Young Jr. (D)--author of SB 631<BR>SenJYoung@senate.state.mi.us<p>[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: 70 Electra ]