License Plate Laws

Guess I'll start the ball rolling - this may cover areas in addition to legislation tho-but its a topic Ive not seen before on the DF. Today while driving to a local shopping center, I came up behind a "replica" of a '40 or so Willys coupe. Mag wheels, fat tires, chopped, lowered, tubbed, flame paint job, etc. etc. in fact Im not even sure it was a replica of a 40' Willys - but Im certain it was at least a coupe. Now the catch - it had ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE license tags from North Carolina on it. Im in Virginia and see plenty of abuse here, in fact street rod guys even have their own special license tag available but seem not to use them, preferring to go with the Antique Auto Tag instead, probably because it exempts them from state inspection, etc. I am not familiar with the NC laws on license plates. This problem seems to boil down to the clerk at the Motor Vehicle Registration office who tend to just accept whatever people put on the registration forms without question. I wonder how some of those T-bucket roadsters get buy with calling themselves a Model T??? Now please don't mistake my grumbling as a put-down for street rodders, I certainly appreciate the craftsmanship, but lets hear how you, your club, your car club councils, your Dept of Motor Vehicles, or Legislators have dealt with this problem. Is it really up to us individually to police it? There are 50 states out there so there must be at least 50 good ideas on how to prevent such abuse that surely may endanger our ability to continue getting our real antiques properly licensed.<BR>Terry

California dodges the issue of abuse of antique auto tags in a very easy way: Such tags are considered "vanity tags" (actually the are "environmental tags" because, in theory, the funds raised are dedicated to environmental portions of the state budget).<P>In any case, it costs more to put antique or Year of Manufacture tags on a car than to put regular series tags. So you only do if if you want to dress up your car and are willing to pay for it.<P>Since all the normal registration fees are paid, the State does not mind how you drive the car. (Your insurance company might smile.gif" border="0 )

• 3 weeks later...
Guest COMPACTBC

Does anyone know the statis of the California (1963)Black plate legislation to let it be used as a Y.O.M. plate? Has Gov Kill-O-Watt signed it or did he veto it? rolleyes.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Terry. We had a similar discussion on the BCA BB a while back. Pennsylvania controls the use of Classic and Antique tags by requiring photos of the car to be submited to the State Police as a part of the registration. This ensures that the car is not modified, and has been restored at least to road worthiness condition (as defined by PA). <P>They now also permit YOM plates on the front, but only if you carry antique or classic tags on the BACK.<P>Inspections for all of PA is annual now, but I've noticed, travelling back there with my daily driver and my 1997 inspection sticker, that the police have more to worry about than inspection stickers with all of the other violators to choose from.<P>I saw a 74 Chevy pickup on Independence Blvd, with a modified wooden back and souped up engine and tires, carrying antique VA plates. rolleyes.gif" border="0

I don't know if there is any way to prevent someone from registering a hot rod using the original date of their car's manufacture.<BR>The only thing the DMV sees is the make, model, color and year of the auto being registered.<BR>For example, if someone takes a 1924 Model T Ford and puts a V-8 engine in it and continues to "rod" the car, he can still technically call it a 1924 Ford Model T. You and I both know it isn't, but the DMV rep doesn't. By the way, I live in New York State.<BR>Roger confused.gif" border="0

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Albert

As of Sept 2001 we have been allowed to use year of manafacture plates here in Ontario Canada not quite sure of the costs as yet. I under stand you have to send the MOT your plate & copy of ownership and they will check for approvial first then send a letter back with the plates.

Guest 70 Electra

I am just now noticing this topic and thought I'd put in my two cents.<P>Some of you guys really scare me. Personally, I prefer stock unmodified cars, but what's the problem with using historic/antique/YOM plates on a "modified" car? <P>Doesn’t a guy with a 50 Mercury lead sled or 32 Deuce coupe have as much right to proudly use a YOM/antique plate as the guys with a 100-point stock restorations?? I say YES!! <P>Maybe the rules governing historic/antique/YOM are different in your states. Here in Michigan, you qualify if the car is over 25 years old. Period. <P>The caveat is that both the "historical vehicle" and YOM plates are restricted to type of use. They are for car functions only and the intent is to prevent use of the car as a daily driver. (Similar to typical “old car” insurance policies.) Drive it to work everyday and you risk getting a ticket.<P>The point is, here in Michigan it doesn't matter if your car is a show car, a project car, a street rod, or whatever. As long as it's TITLED as a 25 year old (or older) car/truck it qualifies for Historic or YOM plates. <P>I’ve seen customs and street rods that are so heavily modified they are not recognizable to me, but if they are TITLED as something older than 25 years of age, then they are eligible for Historic/YOM Michigan plates. <P>And what’s wrong with this? Nothing. It’s the way it should be. Anything else is CENSORSHIP by discriminating against a vehicle based on the owner’s tastes. The idea of having to show pictures of the car (or “prove” it’s stock) is deeply disturbing to me. Where does it stop next? What if the Motor Vehicle clerk doesn’t like my car?

Greg,<P>The only problem with using YOM or antique plates on a modified car that I can see is that, in my opinion, there tends to be a great deal more abuse of the system from people using these limited use registrations on street rods. I've seen an awful lot of Crager SS equipped "antiques" out grocery shopping and in employee parking lots, something that you'll see with authentic antiques far less often. <P>When someone uses the system to get cheap plates or insurance for a car that is an occasional or daily driver, or to avoid emission testing (for reasons real or imagined), it makes it that much harder for the rest of us to be taken seriously by the public at large.<P>PA's special plates for "Street Rods" have minimized this type of abuse, largely by being status symbols among the orange engine block crowd. It suprises me that more states haven't done this.

Guest 70 Electra

Dave,<BR>Shame on you, too! I suppose those guys that have those "evil" custom wheels and non-original equipment on their old cars are more likely to speed, or run stop signs too!<P>This is "automotive profiling" at its worst. If you guys see a primered 67 Camaro with mags and "classic" plates at the 7-11 store, you probably assume he's abusing the rules of "classic" plates by taking his car shopping. However, if you see a mint 36 Packard at the same 7-11, I'll bet you assume he's stopping for a Slurpee on the way back from a car show or parade event.<P>The answer to the abuse problem is enforcement of that particular state's rules regarding use of these special plates. Restricting WHO gets them, based on the type of car is essentially censorship. That is flat out wrong.<P>(If the speed limit is routinely broken, the answer is not to limit the sale of "fast" cars, but to enforce the existing laws, right?)<P>By the way, as the owner of a cherry (100% stock) 66 Caprice with the original orange 327, I'll try not to take offense at your comment about the "orange engine block crowd". wink.gif" border="0

• 3 weeks later...

As an Illinois street rodder,I take some offense to the original comment.In Illinois the antique plate is issued (at the owners request)to "any" vehicle that is 25 years old or older.A replica is also in this group.The plate is much cheaper,but limits your driving to shows,maintenance,etc.It is NOT for everyday driving,but does not limit optional equipment. confused.gif" border="0

Terry, I don't understand what the problem is. If a '32 three window is bone stock, or modified it is still recognized as a '32 three window. I think you would enjoy a long trip in the modified rather than the stocker. Personally I find "antique" plates odd on post 1942 vehicles here in Connecticut. They look terribly out of place on 1970's station wagons that the local house painters use as work vehicles.

I think the point Terry is making and 1937hd45 proves is that people are abusing the "Antique" tag in some states. Here in NJ, Antique vehicles are exempt from inspection. But the state defines that as a "stock, unmodified" vehicle. They will not allow Street Rods to carry antique plates. But once again the point is that in other states people are using the plates to skirt inspection, emission laws or safety laws and that is wrong. Any escalating abuse of the system like that will result in it being taken away from all. And here is a thought: Do you really want that $5.50/hr. DMV employee testing the brakes on YOUR 36 Packard?

Because I?m an old car buff myself, I don?t believe that I need to tell most of the members of AACA that the laws in most states in the United States make it quite difficult, if not impossible, to re-title old cars that no longer have titles. I need your help to remedy that problem.<P>I am a legislator for the state of Wyoming, big in area and small in population, and trying to develop legislation to make it easier to title such (classic, antique, street rod, special interest, specially constructed, reconstructed, or remanufactured) vehicles. With the help of other car buffs across the nation, maybe we can develop model legislation to be used in all states as well as Wyoming. Most legislators in the United States belong to state legislator?s associations that exchange model laws to possibly implement in their state.<P>While I do have access to the statutes in various other states, I would like your help in gathering the good parts of the laws in other states in order to develop the best legislation. I have selected statutes from Colorado, Iowa, Utah, Illinois, Arizona, and Washington. If your members could e-mail or mail me other laws or suggestions for legislation, I would greatly appreciate it.<P>Thanks for your help<P>Representative Pat Childers<BR>26 Equine Dr.<BR>Cody, WY 82414<BR>e-mail: childers@house.wyoming.com<BR>phone: 307-587-5145

I have just finished reading Terry's message on ABUSE of ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE license plates for about the 10th time and i'm irritated to say the least.<BR> I totally agree with 70 Electra, What is the PROBLEM???? <BR> Please re-read his last paragraph of his first response. I happen to own a 39 Nash which has a 74 chev engine and automatic trans, the car is now 62 and the engine is 27 years old. I think that says its an Antique Vehicle. Now the catch- it has YOM plates on it. I use this vehicle in the same manner in which you use yours and therefore i should have same right to use these plate as you have. I can use the Street Rod plate, However these plates are no different than using normal plate just an additional fee, or i can use the ANTIQUE PLATES(black or the new yellow). My hobby is Antique autos and Antique motorcycles, i just happen to like modern conviences in my ANTIQUE AUTO. How does this say ABUSE???<BR> You seem to be putting street rodders down, but if you think about it, street rodders are why the old car hobby is flourishing. I think if you survey the Antique Automotive Suppliers, you'll probably find Street rodders are a majority of the buyers.<BR> "WORK WITH US, NOT AGAINST US"<P> Bennie Howard <BR> AACA #414918<BR> AMCA #8025<BR> NSRA #039966<BR> KKOA #0628<BR> PSRA member<BR> TRAACA member <BR> mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bennie, I really dont understand your post - are you defending abuse of licensing laws? Are you trying to justify your choice in how you tag your car? <P>VA does have a year of manufacture plate registration - you can do it two ways, first you can use it to drive everyday, provided you get your car inspected annually and comply with all the other legalaties involved. Its treated just the same as a personalized tag. Or, you can put the YOM tag on a PROPERLY registered antique auto - and that exempts you from the annual inspection, property taxes, etc. The laws are avaiable on the internet if you search the Va legislative website. We've periodically passed them out at club meetings and published them in our club newsletter also. These are benefits enjoyed (and fought hard for) by a lot of hobbiests in our state, and we all should be concerned about those who abuse the system and place our benefit at risk as a consequence. <P>As you said, Work with us, not against us,- by setting a proper example. When you are out on the highway you represent the old car hobby, and one letter of complaint from a citizen can snowball and undo a lot of good. <P>You were not a member of our club when we worked so hard with the other Virginia AACA Regions, car club councils, and the Street Rod clubs to eliminate personal property tax, reduce driving restrictions, etc. You can be proud of AACA having taken the lead through the Virginia Old Dominion Meet Association. <P>Please dont try to drag me into a discussion about antique vs street rod. I love em all. Terry

Guest COMPACTBC

I guess that this one of the RARE times that California has made a law that appears to be more favorable to the car collector hobby. As long as you give the California DMV the extra $$$$ they don't care how you use your car and if the car is old enough (1973 or older)you don't have to smog it and they don't inspect any car to get the license renewed. I guess it's all about MONEY AND CONTROL, like so many of the numerous laws that our wonderful politicians like to pass every year when they get together. We are losing more of our freedoms every year. rolleyes.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0<p>[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: COMPACTBC ]

Thanks Bruce, thats an example of how keeping it simple can be very positive for everyone. Hey, just noticed my earlier post was as an "unregistered user." Obviously not the case, guess I just forgot to log-in. E-mail me at home when you have a chance, lets talk about trying to get a few more national activities scheduled out your way! Terry

By the sound of it Bruce is talking about the YOM plates. In California these are pretty much the same as vanity plates: There is simply an extra fee above and beyond what "regular" plate would cost. Since there are no special privileges, there are no special restrictions.<P>At Tom points out, California also has some specialty plates for historic cars. These plates do have some privileges and thus some restrictions on use. In particular, I you want to keep your horseless carriage original and do not want to add a windshield (required for all cars otherwise), you will want to register the car with the "horseless carriage" tags described in section 5004 of the motor vehicle code. But then you will be restricted: The vehicle can only "operated or moved over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose".

Thanks Tod,<BR> I had no knowledge of what restrictions (if any) there might have been. Your description of YOM is right on target. The ca.gov websites are in a form that is incompatible with web tv, which is all is use for internet access. Pending legislative summaries are accessible but Bill or Lesislation text is not. <P> Thanks Again, Tom

For info, here is how the Code of Virginia defines "Antique Automobile." <P>"Antique Motor Vehicle" means every motor vehicle...which was actually manufactured or designated by the manufacturer as a model manufactured in a calendar year not less than 25 years prior to January 1 of each calendar year and is owned solely as a collector's item."<P>The Code of Virginia defines "Street Rod" as <BR>"...modernized private passenger motor vehicles either manufactured prior to 1949 or designed or manufactured to resemble vehicles manufactured prior to 1949." I'm not sure how/why the 1949 year was chosen as a cutoff. Perhaps there should be some efforts made to get it changed? <P>Maybe clubs or car club councils in various states can use these as a basis to help legislators change laws as necessary for the benefit of all enthusiasts.<BR>Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Following is Virginia?s designation of a ?STREET ROD?:<P><BR>§ 46.2-747. Special license plates for street rods. <P>On receipt of an application, the Commissioner shall issue special license plates to owners of street rods. For the purposes of this section, "street rods" shall mean modernized private passenger motor<BR>vehicles either manufactured prior to 1949 or designed or manufactured to resemble vehicles<BR>manufactured prior to 1949. <P>(1985, c. 452, § 46.1-105.13; 1987, c. 696; 1989, c. 727.)<BR>---------------------------------------------<P><BR>this legislation was lobbied for by the street rodders of Virginia as there was no specialized plate for street rods. a street rod is a vehicle built before 1949. Vehicles after 1948 were called Street Machines In 1949 Automobiles went thru major changes, ?slab sides? as they are often referred to, no fenders, overhead valve engines, etc The National Street Rod Association guidelines so disignated this cut-off..<BR> In the early days of NSRA there were two Division, Street Rod and Street Machines. I don?t think there was much support for the street machine division and it was dropped sometime in the late seventies or early eighties. <BR> When Virginia allowed the use of YOM plates, this appealed to the Street Rodding Community more than the Street Rod designated Plates Most of the Street Rods you see on the road nowdays use this plate. <BR> I?ve attended many Street Rod events in the last 30 years and many of those vehicles attending are bone stock with exception of wheels and tires. these vehicles are welcome in both street rod and antique events (just change the wheels). Nowdays a majority of street rods have stock looking vehicles, including wheela and tires, these are referred to as ?Resto Rods?. My 36 Ford 3 window coupe was in this category.<P> <A HREF="http://www.nsra-usa.com/members.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nsra-usa.com/members.htm</A> <BR>-------------------------------------------<P>Following is Virginia?s designation of an Antique Vehicle: <P>Vehicle Services: Antique Motor Vehicle<P> Antique and Vintage License Plates <P> If you own a passenger vehicle or motorcycle with a model year that is more than 25 model years old before January 1 of the current calendar year, you've got an antique! Depending on how you plan to use your vehicle, you may choose antique, vintage or any one of our standard license plates. Antique license plates are provided by DMV; vintage license plates are original Virginia license plates issued prior to 1976 that you<BR>provide. <P> Is your antique vehicle just for show?? <P> If you plan to use your antique vehicle solely as a collector's item, you may register your vehicle with antique license<BR>plates or permanent vintage license plates. <P> Registering your vehicle either of these ways limits your use of the vehicle to: <P> 1.Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits,tours, parades, and similar events. <BR> 2.Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence. <P> You may not, however, use your vehicle for general, daily transportation. This includes, but is not limited to, driving to and from work. <P> If you are providing vintage license plates, The issue year of the license plate must match the model year of the vehicle. <BR> DMV must inspect and approve their physical<BR>condition. <P> To register your vehicle with antique or permanent vintage license plates, DMV charges a one-time fee of $11.50. Use form VSA14. <BR> <BR> Your license plates will be valid for as long as your own the vehicle. You may not transfer your license plates to another<BR>vehicle, but you may surrender them to DMV and then register them to a different vehicle for an additional $11.50. Unless the vehicle was manufactured for one licensee plate only, you must display license plate on the front and the rear of your vehicle.<P> ?or do you plan to use it for everyday driving?<P> In order to enjoy unrestricted driving privileges in your antique vehicle, you'll need to provide vintage license plates and register your antique vehicle for general transportation purposes. Just like owning a modern vehicle, you'll have to:<P> Renew your vehicle registration every year or every other year (depending on whether you renew for one or two years), pay the same registration fee you would pay to purchase standard license plates. Display month and year decals on your vintage<BR>license plates. <BR> Obtain an annual safety inspection sticker for your vehicle.<P> If you own another vehicle of the same model year, you may transfer your general transportation vintage license plates to that vehicle.<BR> For more details about the use of antique or vintage license plates, visit Virginia Code Section 46.2-730.<P>So, based on the above my street rod is no different than any vehicle that is 25 or more years old.......and there is no abuse. <P>Bennie Howard<BR> AACA 414914<BR> AMCA 8025<BR> NSRA 039966<BR> KKOA 0628<BR> TRAACA Member<BR> PSRA Member

Guess I should look at this forum a little more often - didn't realize our Virginian had done so much research and posted such an informative addition - thanks Bennie!<P>Like Bennie, if you've done your research of the law and are convinced you are doing things correctly, then "motor-on!" Id recommend printing a copy of the law however and carrying it around in your car. Ive found that some police officers are in the same category as DMV clerks when it comes to the specifics. <P>Here's a story relayed to me by a fellow old car nut a while back that illustrates part of the problem. While standing in line at the local DMV office to get his drivers license renewed, the guy in front of him was observed trying to transfer (modern) plates to a vehicle he'd just acquired. The DMV clerk looked at his paperwork and excitedly informed him "Gee, this is a 1963 Ford - you qualify for Antique tags." When the guy asked "what does that do for me" he was simply told "there is just a one-time fee and you don't have to renew your tags each year or get inspections." "Sure" was the obvious response, and upon leaving, my friend saw him wiring the new black and white Antique Vehicle tags onto his 1963 Ford station wagon. The wagon had the back top cut off to make it into a truck. It had ladder racks welded onto the passenger side, and it was splattered with so many different colors of paint you couldnt tell what color it was originally. The guy was a painter and this was indeed his work truck! <P>Abuse? Well, the owner of the vehicle didn't think so. He did what he was told. However the average citizen spots this vehicle on the road and automatically sees abuse. It places our continued use of these tags at risk when stuff like that happens.<P>Some "abuse" is due to ignorance and some is intentional, and its done by antique car folks, the general public and yes, probably even some street rod guys. But the question in my original post was "how are clubs handling it?" Example - our most recent newsletter contained a one page summary of the licensing and usage restriction laws and it was recommended that everyone carry it in the car with them. In fact, its probably not too bad an idea to carry a couple of extra copies to give to folks like the painter. <P>I was curious about the Virginia Street Rod tag too - are many of them being used? If I owned a neat 29 A tall-cab truck like the one I saw last night in downtown Portsmouth I'd probably have Street Rod tags proudly displayed on it (don't know what kind of tags it had, but it's welcome in my drive-way anytime!) <P>My original question was about North Carolina tags and we've not had any NC folks check in with the info. Still curious.<P>So, it's not about Rods vs Antique - its about protecting the priviledges we've all fought hard for and enjoy and we all share responsibility to protect what we've got. Bottom line - read the law, follow the law, if it doesn't work, theres a way to change the law. Hopefully our clubs offer a good way to help get the word out to their members.<P>I know we have at least one legislator keeping an eye on this, It would be great if we had that person's thought, opinions, and proposed solutions to ponder and provide some feedback on. <P>Terry

This thread brings two questions to mind: 1) If the street Rod in question has a repro body and frame,and late model running gear can it legally be titled and tagged as an antique? 2) What does it matter if some guy with an older daily driver gets to use YOM plates? These people represent such a small portion of the total number of cars on the road that it is insignificant.

• 3 years later...

I'm from NC, so here's the skinny. If a vehicle is over 35 years old from DOM, you are exempt from annual safety inspections. See NC GS 20-20-183.2 as ammended in '03-'04. Check out www.ncmgcarclub.org/inspections.html for article and links to gov't sites. I'm glad I found this information and hope it also helps someone else. There's no stipulation on any alterations done to the car. Who are you to tell me what's appropriate for my car? If I want super big tires or aftermarket exhaust, then it's my car I'm fooling with. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it! As long as it's 35 years old I fall within the law by having an antique tag on it, regardless of changes made.

aaronbtxnc, You may be from NC but you haven't given us the "skinny" on anything reguarding the subject which is the use/abuse of the antique tags. [color:\\"red\\"] And it is a <span style="font-weight: bold">four year old post</span> that you dug up. You'd also do a better job at representing our fine state if you'd lose the attitude. This is a [color:\\"red\\"] antique car forum and is hosted by a club which purpose is for the [color:\\"red\\"] preservation of vehicles. This forum is also watched by people in the US, Canada, Seden, England and Germany ( that I know of) and probably more places than that. Not everyone knows what the NC state laws are. Just beacuse it is legal for the street rods to use the antique auto tags in NC doesn't mean it is the same in VA, WA or CA. I know I have seen at least one state did have a street rod tag, just can't remember which one. If you contact your state representives, and get them to introduce a bill that would be a Street Rod tag and it could have all the same privlages that the antique auto tag has. All it takes is 300 signatures on a petition to get a new tag considered by Raleigh. That's basically what the antique car owners (mostly AACA members) did to get the tag you benefiting from. That tag saves you tax $$, inspection $$ and you can run year of manufactered tags.

Here are the laws reguarding the tags that can be used on antique autos in NC.

G. S. 20-63 (d)

Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer shall be attached thereto, one in the front and the other in the rear: Provided, that when only one registration plate is issued for a motor vehicle other than a truck tractor, said registration plate shall be attached to the rear of the motor vehicle. The registration plate issued for a truck tractor shall be attached to the front thereof. Provided further, that when only one registration plate is issued for a motor vehicle and this motor vehicle is transporting a substance that may adhere to the plate so as to cover or discolor the plate or if the motor vehicle has a mechanical loading device that may damage the plate, the registration plate may be attached to the front of the motor vehicle.

[color:\\"blue\\"] Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person.

20-79.4.(B)(17)

Historic Vehicle Owner. ? [color:\\"blue\\"] Issuable for a motor vehicle that is at least 35 years old measured from the date of manufacture. The plate for an historic vehicle shall bear the word "Antique" unless the vehicle is a model year 1943 or older. The plate for a vehicle that is a model year 1943 or older shall bear the word "Antique" or the words "Horseless Carriage", at the option of the vehicle owner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know I have seen at least one state did have a street rod tag, just can't remember which one. </div></div>

PA. They even issue VIN numbers for rods w/o them.

• 3 months later...

25 year old cars being eligible for antique tags that means that a 1980 car will be able to get antique plates. is it right that a daily driver 1980 camaro with emmisions removed, mag wheels, load exhaust and jacked up to the sky have the same

exemptions that a $50000 restored 1955 chevy have? I beleive not, why should the daily driver that has not been rebuilt and maintained to standards get away with not being inspected or having emmision tests done. Most of the streetrods or restored antique cars are road safe and maintained to show. The DMV should have

registered sites to have every vehicle checked inspected and verified before any plate be issued antique, classic, streetrod, collector or any special limited use plate

just my thoughts.

steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I know I have seen at least one state did have a street rod tag, just can't remember which one. </div></div>

streetrod.gif

In Colorado the law regarding street rod plates;

Colorado Revised Statute 42-3-114 (3) (a)

Issued to passenger, light truck and recreational truck vehicles manufactured in 1948 or earlier. This plate can only be a personalized plate. When issued to a recreational truck vehicle, empty weight cannot exceed 6,500 pounds. Additional charge of $35.00 upon application and $25.00 additional each year thereafter. Plate configuration must be at least two (2) positions and no more than seven (7).

• 1 month later...

NJ law says historic cars must have a historic QQ tag displayed from the REAR of the car ( this info is right from there website) but they sent me a pair and everytime I go to a show the classics have tags frt & rear in nj. Anybody have any insight into this.

This post edited 7/26/2006.

Tag registration and titles are now under the Department of Revenue in the State of Georgia.

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/

Registration

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/registration/

--

Special Tags - Types Available

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/plates/

--

then scroll down to

Special Interest Plates

Hobby Antique which goes to:

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/plates/plate.asp?ptitle=HA

There is a sample image of the plate there also.

Hobby Antique

Manufacturing Fee: None

Annual Registration Fee: $20.00

Annual Special Tag Fee: None

Ad Valorem Tax Required: Yes

Required Forms: N/A

Special Qualifications: N/A

Where do the funds go? State Treasury

Is the county name decal required? Yes

Additional Information:

This tag may be issued to a motor vehicle (private passenger car, truck weighing less than 14,000 lbs., or motorcycle) that is more than twenty-five (25) years old or to a vehicle that has been designed and manufactured to resemble an antique or historical vehicle.

This tag may be transferred to another antique, hobby or special interest vehicle.

---

Unannotated Georgia Code - Titles

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=40-2-77

40-2-77.

(a) As used in this Code section, the term 'antique or hobby or special interest vehicle' means any motor vehicle which is over 25 years old or a motor vehicle which has been designed and manufactured to resemble an antique or historical vehicle and which is owned as a collector´s item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses but which may be used for general transportation.

(B) Upon application, registration, and payment of an annual registration fee of $20.00, the commissioner shall issue a special license plate, as described in this Code section, for every antique or hobby or special interest vehicle within the state which is a private passenger car, truck weighing less than 14,000 pounds, or motorcycle.

© For antique vehicles or hobby or special interest vehicles, said license plates shall be of metal at least four inches wide and not less than seven inches in length and shall show in bold characters the words 'Antique Vehicle' or 'Hobby or Special Interest Vehicle,' as appropriate, the full name or the abbreviation of the name of the state, distinctive numbers or letters or a combination thereof, and other distinctive markings as in the judgment of the commissioner will to the best advantage advertise, popularize, and otherwise promote the state.

(d) The commissioner shall make such rules and regulations as necessary to ascertain compliance with all state license laws relating to use and operation of a private passenger car, truck weighing less than 14,000 pounds, or motorcycle, as applicable, before issuing these plates in lieu of the regular Georgia license plate.

(e) Special plates issued under this Code section shall be transferred to another antique or hobby or special interest vehicle as provided by Code Section 40-2-80.

(f) Any vehicle for which an antique vehicle or hobby or special interest vehicle license plate has been issued pursuant to this Code section may be operated upon the roadways of this state in the same manner and under the same conditions as any vehicle bearing a regular Georgia license plate. No owner of such antique vehicle or hobby or special interest vehicle shall be required to obtain any special permits for its operation on the roads of this state.

----

Also, if you have an old legitmate State of Georgia license plate from the year of manufacture for your old vehicle, you can put it on you vehicle and drive around with it on there. You must have a valid license plate inside the vehicle. Read the details here:

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/1995_96/leg/fulltext/hb408.htm#index

-W

• 2 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NJ law says historic cars must have a historic QQ tag displayed from the REAR of the car ( this info is right from there website) but they sent me a pair and everytime I go to a show the classics have tags frt & rear in nj. Anybody have any insight into this. </div></div>

I only learned about this a few months ago and have found that many classic car owners don't know the actual law regarding these tags.

In 1999, NJ changed the law regarding front license plates on antique cars. The law now makes use of the front plate as optional cool.gif.

Here's the applicable law (see last sentance of statute):

TITLE 39 MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC REGULATION

39:3-27.4. Historic motor vehicles; registration, license plates, display

2.Any owner of an historic motor vehicle who is a resident of this State may register such motor vehicle under the provisions of this act. Application for registering an historic vehicle shall be on forms prescribed by the director. Upon proper application and payment of the prescribed fee, the director shall issue a special nonconventional registration and special license plate for each historic motor vehicle registered in this State. Such registration and license plate shall be valid during the period of time that the vehicle is owned by the registrant. The fee for such registration and license plate shall be $25.00. The license plate shall bear the word "historic" and shall be of such design and colors as the director may determine. Notwithstanding the provisions of R.S.39:3-33 or any other law to the contrary, an owner of a vehicle registered as an historic vehicle , or any vehicle manufactured before 1945, shall not be required to display more than one special license plate issued for that vehicle, which plate shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle.

L.1964,c.195,s.2; amended 1999, c.305.

Cheers,

Bill Sohl

AACA

VTR

• 3 weeks later...

Consider this.

When is a modified car no longer the original car?

This is a question you must ask to your state. Since once you cross that line you must apply for a new car title and the car is titled the year you built it. It is now a 'new' car.

So I am going to say a 1930 model A with a store bought frame, mustang front end, jag rear, and a chevy engine probably crosses that line. According to the title people in the state of NJ they have crossed that line. So any car that crosses that line and is registered with the 1930 title is illegally registered!

So that means the insurance companies could decide not to pay off. There is usually a clause in the contract that says the car must be legally registered.

The interesting thing is trying to get this enforced. The cops dont know about it, the state police does not seem to care and others I have contacted in the state have no clue what to do about this.

Before anyone goes off the deep end. I started asking around just because I could not believe that no one knew how to enforce the laws.

Now for the guy that says who should care, a hot rodder is not hurting anyone. Well that is not true. He is driving this cobbed together car and part of the a new title is a safety inspection. It has been my experience most guys do not know how to properly engineer a hot rod and they certainly wont spend the money to do it right. So someone has to be looking out for my safety if the owners wont. There is a reason why a 3 foot tall blower is not allowed on a car on the street, something about being able to see. Personally I like to know that hot rod actually has 4 wheel brakes (the 454 on the T-bucket was only slightly worked and only had 2 wheel brakes) that work and steering that turns the opposite direction for the first 1/4 turn of the wheel (model A pickup truck).

Quite frankly, people seem to have problems rebuilding their cars to original specs and keeping them safe to drive. Letting people put 1000 hp engines in a car and building them with no inspection is not right.

Keep this all in mind the next time you look at cars at the shows. Listen to what people say about thier cars. It is amazing the number of cars the pull some when they brake.

If you know what to look and listen for you will be scared!