Zephyr chane from 16inch to 15 inch

Hi Bill, The only 15"s that will work exactly on your '40, are the 26 H and 5EH 1015, these come with the special clips that attach the hubcaps, otherwise the wheels are very much the same as Ford pickup wheels, used from late '40''s to the '60's, however they do not come with the clips, but I think they can be added on, not sure how they are fastened, screwed, riveted or welded, I suppose, take care and good luck, OC

Hey Ben, not arguing with you, but why?? The brake drums the wheels bolt to are the same from '39-'48?? Seems like all the wheels, 15's and 16's should bolt right on, doesn't it?? Some used to say you needed a spacer like that when you ran older Ford wire wheels on hydraulic drums, but I never did, and never had a cracked or broken wheel, but maybe I was just lucky, Thanks, OC

• 1 year later...

My early 1947 Continental (looks like a '46) came with 16" wheels. In 1964 I switched to 15" wheels from a 1957 Lincoln and used a set of 1939 Ford hubcap clips. I drilled holes in the wheels and bolted the clips on. The original hubcaps fit just fine and haven't fallen off in over 100,000 miles. I didn't need any spacers, but the '57 Lincoln wheels are a little wider than the stock 16" ones. Take a look at: http://community.webshots.com/album/33590926dAmhsj for a Webshots photo album of this car, currently patiently waiting re-restoration.

OK, Phil, just to beat the subject to death, I do not think any '42-'46 Lincoln came stock with 16" wheels, they all came with 15's, am I wrong?? Suspect someone put the 16's on your Connie, before they put it up for sale, and put the 15's on their earlier car, because they ride better, not certain, but it is indeed sensible, if not, please show me the evidence, Rolf

That was 40 years ago, Rolf! I only have the spare tire and wheel that was on the car when I got it and it's an OLD Atlas 7:00x16. I thought that only '48 Continentals came with 15" wheels but I don't know. I'm considering putting 15" wheels on my Zephyr for drivability. I have the wheels and I'm looking for a set of '39 Ford hubcap clips. Bill Norton used to stock them, but not any more. (Bill has moved his "Valley Ford Parts Obsolete" business to Kerrville, Texas).

take a look at http://community.webshots.com/album/103567038MGrDsB for some photos of "Parts I Need" for my '39 Zephyr.

By the way, the e-bay link I mentioned in our e-mail is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6304&item=2461244633

Re. the 16 to 15" wheels. I have a '41 Zephyr coupe with '42-48 rims. Actually don't know if their '48. I think '42. They have Clips (riveted} and take the original hubcaps. It's true you need a spacer for the drums AND on the passengers side rim you can't put the balance weights on the inside of the rim because the spindle arm is now so close to the rim it will knock them off. So any lead weights must be glued to the back or placed on the front. Also because the new 15" tires are generally fatter (better ride) the spare tire now will not fit into the wheel well in the trunk, plus the wooden lid won't lie down flat anymore.

Wow! 40 years was a LONG time ago! Some of the deep, dark, distant memories are returning though. I didn't need a spacer for the front wheels because I used 1957 Lincoln front drums on 1940 Ford hubs. This required a little machine work on the drums and modification of the backing plates, but gave me the effect of a spacer, together with larger (wider), better front brakes. It also widened the front track so the wheels fit the fenders better and I'm sure that the wheel weights fit on the inside of the wheel. That also explains why I still have the original spare tire outside (with a REAL spare in the trunk). The Continental tire cover won't fit over the wider 15" tires. How soon we forget! I used a stock 1957 Lincoln rear end so the braking system is balanced. I added a Bendix Hydro-Vac brake booster for power brakes and the car drove (and stopped) VERY well for MANY miles and years.

Phil, I was going to ask how you bolted up a 57 lincoln rearend to the original trans, but your photo essay answered that question. 368 cu inch Lincoln. So, here's another. What did you do about the rear spring? transverse original? Coil or longitudial (sp)? Also, nice photo montage. Thanks for sharing.

OK Rolf and Dave, you got me and I am EMBARRASED! I just looked at my original '47 Continental spare wheel and it's FIFTEEN inches, NOT sixteen as I erroneously thought. I guess I just wanted wider wheels forty years ago. I know, Dave, (*&)%$E# hot rodders! You gotta remember, this happened FORTY years ago and the V-12 engine was considered to be nothing more than a good boat anchor in those days. I sold my running V-12 (with the correct Continental air cleaner) and overdrive transmission to Jack Nethercutt for a mere $150 in 1964! You kids nowadays have it WAY too easy! By the way, Keith, I believe I used 1954 Ford rear springs (longitudinal) to mount my '57 Lincoln rear end. blush.gif