Columbia 2 speed axle

I was interested in obtaining some information, and the mechanics of the columbia axle, I own one, and plan on using it in a project vehicle. If anyone has good know of these axles please let me know.<BR>Thanks....Ryan

Hi Ryan, don't know everything, but had a columbia in a Zephyr, and Bill Uhouse has one in his '40, so ask away, remember that if the project is not a closed drive Ford type that can take a wide stance on the rearend, it may not be appropriate, let us know-

Here's what I have going for this Columbia Axle. First I want to know if the ring and pinion used in the axle, if it is the same type used in the regular Ford rear ends. I was noticing the the speedo drive gear on the tube reads 22, for 22 teeth. Now if I am guessing correctly that would put the direct ratio at about 4.27:1. Very low, to low for me. I have a ring and pinion that might be around 3.73:1 which to me would bring me to a better ratio for both in town driving, and the overdrive for the highway. i just wondered if the gear sets are the same, can I make the switch? Also I was wondering if they are shift on the go, both in and out, or does that have to happen at a stop? I am using it in a 40 Ford pick-up, it is a later one, 46-48, but I am using a box from a 47 Ford, so that should acomodate the axle change. If anyone has some service manuals for the Columbia Axle, let me know, I would be interested in a copy.

Hi Ryan, thanks for the info, but there are way too many apples and oranges going on here, first is it a Ford or a Lincoln Columbia? and is it a '40 or a '47 pickup? and is the '47 transmission a car or pickup? open and closed drive respectively, and the Lincoln ring and pinion are not interchangeable with Ford, their standard ratio was 4:44, and there were no other ratios available, if it is a Ford unit, all Ford gearsets will interchange. All Columbia's will "shift on the fly" up and down, but it will not do it real fast, so it doesn't work well for racing. I ran a Borg Warner OD in a '41 pickup, and found the ideal gear ratio with a hopped up '48 Merc flathead was 4:11, very good acceleration off the line, and enough power for hills and passing in OD, if you have a Lincoln unit, there is a good market with the LZ guys, may be a lot of hassle in your pickup, good luck-

Here's my e-mail if maybe you could leave a phone, I could explain better what I want to do: jryan@onewest.net<P>Sometimes it is harder for me to explain over the net what I am trying to get at. You do seem to have some good knowledge, and I think you could give me some good know-how. Let me know, Thanks....Ryan