Lincoly Zephyr Serial Number

I recently bought a 1940 Lincoln Zephyr Sedan with a Columbia Overdrive that had been garaged for years. I live in Indiana and bought it in Ohio. Indiana law requires that I have local law enforcement verify the Vehicle Identification Number. The Ohio title lists the Manufacurer's Serial Number as H5721024. Niether the local officers nor myself can locate this number on the car. I find a Body Number, but it's different fron the number on the title. Can anyone help?

Hi, just recently went through this process on my '41, here in California we call it the VIN #, or Vehicle Identification Number, and it should be stamped on the front and rear of the frame, we were only able to find the one stamped on the rear of the frame, but it was enough for a Police officer to verify it clearing the way to get the car registered, get a good wire brush, and sharpen your eyeballs, it is probally there, and hopefully will be the one you want, the body number is not relevant, good luck-

ON your 40 Z if you can't find the serial number on the frame, remove the tranmission cover and the serial number can be found on the transmission bell housing and the transmission also,unless the engine and transmission have been changed you may have a problem. I have a 40 Z, and allthough the engine was replaced the frame and the transmission numbers were correct. You can look this info up in an old MOTORS/ CHLITON manual.BaCk in the FORTIES if your engine was replaced you were required to correct the title.<P>Bill Uhouse

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm trying to bring a 1938 LZ four door sedan back on the road, but can't find the VIN#'s.

I think I know where to find the number on the transmission; on the flat spot on front/top(?). By transmission-bellhousing; do you mean the clutch housing on the engine? If so; where do I find the number?

I particularly need to find the numbers on the frame.

Could someone please tell me exactly where to find these numbers? Thanks.

I forgot to mention, because of its location it is usally covered over with 60 years of crud. and will need to be wire brushed. It's stamped into the frame, letters about 3/16" high. When I needed to register my car I had to tear apart the floorboard trans cover and use to number on the bell housing because I couldn't find to the damn number on the frame. Only after I took out the radiator and cleaned the front end of the frame did I find it, by accident.

Keith

Thanks a lot! That's a BIG help. I hope it's on the same spot on the 38's.

The car is parked a bit away from my home, so we won't be able to check right now, but I will report what we find then.

Espen