engine vibrrrration

My 41 Zephyr has a bad engine vibration at about 40 mph that keeps me from pushing it any faster. It's also there at high revs when stationary. I thought of checking the timing, but what's the process when you've got 2 distributors?

Can we get a LITTLE history on the thing. You know, what was done last to it, was it rebuilt recently ? This will all be helpful in solving the problem correctly. There are to many variables..................

My first hunch is that you are crosswired, check it by using the information provided on this forum in the post titled '40 V12 firing order, if that is Ok, next step is to have the distributor "strobed", which is merely being set with a good distributor stroboscope, by a technician who knows how, if that doesn't work either, there may be serious internal problems in the engine, also check the cooling fan, sometimes they lose a blade, which can cause a vibration, good luck, keep us updated, Rolf

Hi on your VIBRATION I had a similar problem on a 40 Z and noted that plug wires were frayed in the plug harness, you can check that out by just putting your timing lite on<BR>the battery without connecting to a plug and if the strobe lite flickers when turned on the wires are shorted, also your rotor could be arching across to other plugs.<P>To set my distributor up with a timing lite and a dwell meter, after setting the pionts, with the coil on and the timing plate advance screw tightened, reinstall the distributor make sure the fan is off.remove the advance plate on the right side,this way you can check both sides of the coil to make sure that the "DWELL" and the pionts are correctly set. SYNCHRONIZING the points can be done by adusting the screw behind the advance plate.YOUR DWELL meter should read 60% for either side. The IDLE mode should be close to 400 rpm's or less. I've also added a timing tape to the vibration damper,this takes a little time to assure that when you point your timming lite it is firing at the correct timing for the NO 1 cylinder,after you finish the adjustment reset your "VACUM BRAKE.After you complete these operations you can then run the engine up to 2,000 rpm's and if the dwell stays within + or - 3 degrees the distributor is set correctly. <BR>NOTE before you do the above make sure the carburetor is set correctly.<P>BILL UHOUSE<BR>